Behavioral Contracts

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by QueenB, Aug 21, 2007.

1. QueenB

QueenB Rookie

Aug 21, 2007

Does anyone use a behavioral contract that you, the parent and student sign? I need to make one for my mentor. She showed me hers, but I'd like to see some others and get new ideas instead of making mine look exactly like hers. Thanks!

3. jellokites

jellokites Rookie

Aug 21, 2007

I do not have one here, but can describe what I have seen Some have happy/sad faces on them, or for older students a scale of 1-10 or 1-5.
    I would have on this contract, what you want the child to specifically work on (keeping hands to themselves, raising hand, completing assignments...ect).
    I always leave an area for extra comments in case something came up that I want to document (negative or positive).

Good luck!

4. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 21, 2007

I have only done them with students whose behavior was outside of the norm, or such that they were being affected negatively socially and it was affecting their classwork, etc. I have only done this twice. (Once in student teaching, and once last year.)

I choose a couple of goals, and usually discuss it with the student and they make a goal also. Last year, one little boy had one, and his goal was "to make kid friends." He recognized that this was something he had to work at and I assured him that doing the chart with me would help him work toward that goal b/c my goals for him directly influenced his ability to keep friends. His other two goals were "use kind words and actions" and "hold your thoughts" (that was his wording- I would have said, think before you speak.)

I would mark a smiley, nuetral or frowny face on it for each thing. We did it after the am work time, for lunch, and the end of the day. (He needed it this often.) I had a place for him to mark his feelings of the day, and for me to mark mine.

There was a space to write. No matter what kind of day it was, I wrote a little note. If it was a terrible day, there was a spot for him to write a note back to me for HW.

When he had 4 good days in a row (all smileys) he would teach me to play to piano after school for a 20 minutes. He LOVED to get the one on one attention, and was quite a musician and played several instruments. I did not want there to be a prize, like a treat or toy or something. If he had wanted, it could have been to have a friend from another class eat lunch with us, or eat with the teachers, or something.

The most important thing was that we made the goals together and that he agreed it was needed. I don't know how well it would work if it was forced on him, because the adults around him thought he was "bad" or whatever.