Behavior theme

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by pumpkincup, Jun 23, 2009.

1. pumpkincup

pumpkincup Rookie

Jun 23, 2009

Hello
    I am going to be looping with some of my students and want to adjust my behavior plan slightly so that they won't be bored with the same one from last year. In the past I have used the stop light (start on green and move to a different color when a rule is broken), I have also used baseballs (each time they break a rule they get a strike and have to move their baseball to strike 1, then 2 and finally 3.
    Does anyone have any other clever ideas to use? I would like to be able to have 4-5 steps.

Thanks

3. lareed

lareed Companion

Jul 8, 2009

I am also moving with my kids from 1st to 2nd. I used the card system last year but I really don't want to use it this year. My AP also said that didn't like it used except for kindergarten. I am thinking of doing some sort of a point system. That way they lose points for behaviors but at the end of the day they still have "earned" some points. I don't think it will feel as negative as the color system. Also, with some of my students, if they moved their card once it didn't seem to matter if they had to do it again because all was lost.

I want them to start out with 20 "points" a day. I would like something other than points but haven't figured it out yet. Our gradebook automatically gives the students a citizenship grade based on 100 so, they get 20 pts a day. I thought also of keeping their "chart" (or whatever I end up using) in a specific folder that has to get signed on Fridays.

Just my idea so far...what do you think?

4. ParaPacker

ParaPacker Rookie

Jul 9, 2009

I have used many things, but I wanted to create a reward and behavior plan together. I used behavior Baseball (and other sports) A run was given every day for good behavior or for extra credit. A strike (or foul) was given to students who have broken a rule or did not turn in homework. Three strikes and they got an out, they had to spend the rest of the day in a partner teacher's room. They also called home. I had automatic outs for extreme behaviors.

When the game was over, students could use their points for treats, time on the computer, lunch with me, movie ticket... They were also able to use their points during the game.

It was a good system last year. I played Behavior Football, hockey, soccer, bowling. Students were able to pick a sport and we created the "strikes and runs" together.

I think it would work with younger students as well. They know sports well.

Good luck!