Behavior system ideas - bead system?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by snickydog, May 19, 2009.

1. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

May 19, 2009

This year I used incentive charts on each student's desk for individual incentives, and I will NOT be doing that again (charts falling off desks, cost of buying charts, etc). I'm trying to think of a plan I might use for next year, and I saw the Bead Reward System on Ms. Powell's site.

http://thecornerstoneforteachers.com/TR/bead.pdf

Have any of you used this? How did it go? Do you have another system that works?

3. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

May 19, 2009

Glad you posted this. I wonder what grades would be good for this.

4. MissR

MissR Comrade

May 19, 2009

My current system is kind of like that. I have a chart in the front of the room that has a small rectangle for each child and I give them stars when I notice something positive. 5 stars means they get to pick from the prize box at the end of the day. I like that it focuses on positive behaviors; I have heard that a lot of people think the stoplight system is just terrible for kids. Next year I plan to use more incentives like "take your shoes off for writing" or "sit in the teacher's chair for meeting" or other non-prize rewards.

5. cmw

cmw Groupie

May 19, 2009

I use pony beads as an incentive for students to remember their recorders in 4th grade and they love them. Even some of the tough boys like to get another bead to add to their design. They are tied onto their recorders with the rexlace that comes in awesome colors. This is my 1st time using the beads. My 5th graders see the beads & lace and are very jealous so I'm going to continue it next year when this group is in 5th. :D

6. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

May 19, 2009

How well do the pony beads fit on the Rexlace? I would assume the hole in the bead is close to the size of the lacing? I would love to do this at each child's seat, but not sure how best to secure it.

7. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

May 21, 2009

I used this very bead system with my 5th graders last year. It seemed to work well and motivated them to get the most beads because they would be able to choose their Fun Friday activity first. The rule from day one was that they were not to play with the pipe cleaner and if they were caught messing with it, it would be taken away for the remainder of the year. Not a single student had a problem with that. I taped the end of the pipe cleaner to the corner of their desk and awarded beads for a variety of things.

8. cmw

cmw Groupie

May 22, 2009

To keep them on we loop the lace through the bead. When they added beads they just unlooped it, put on the new one and looped it.
    :D