Behavior Support on the Go

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by deefreddy, Oct 20, 2012.

1. deefreddy

deefreddy Companion

Oct 20, 2012

I'm hoping someone has a good solution that I could use with a student who needs a self-monitoring system. I am working with the student to reduce outbursts, and a self-recording worksheet is working great in the classroom, but since 40% of our instruction is either off-campus in the community or walking to various places on campus, where most of the outbursts occur, I need an easy, portable method for the student to keep track of his behavior when he is mobile and not sitting at a desk in the classroom. Any ideas?

3. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 21, 2012

Maybe a notepad that the student can carry around?

4. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Oct 21, 2012

A few thoughts. First, bros idea of a notepad would probably be the most simple. If you're looking for something else, a few things I have tried are iPod/handheld recording. There are a few apps which are great at recording behavior. Also, more simply is a baseball umpire score device. They sell them at sporting goods stores, and basically allow the umpire to click the wheel and add balls, strikes, outs, etc. - it isn't perfect, but can allow someone to monitor simple frequency counts of behavior.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 21, 2012

We have used the iPad for tracking behaviors before. It works really great.

They also sell a simple clicker that will allow the student to just click to count the behavior.

I have also used counters that I move from one pocket to another pocket before or buttons on a jacket (unbutton or button for each behavior that occurs).

6. deefreddy

deefreddy Companion

Oct 24, 2012

thanks

i like the button or clicker idea. I'll give those ideas a try. The student has enough trouble just getting from one place to another, and remembering a pencil and notebook just wouldn't work.

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 24, 2012

I would see if you can find one with a strap so that the student doesn't need to remember it, he can wear it around his wrist or belt loop.