Behavior Suggestions

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mkbren88, Jul 27, 2012.

1. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jul 27, 2012

I just finished my first week of teaching Kindergarten, and boy am I exhausted! I have a pretty great group, but I have one student who is on the SPED teams radar. He has an IEP from preschool for developmental delays, but there is definitely a lot more going on. He licks the walls and people, constantly trying to put his mouth on or near someone, makes noise constantly, pushes into people, and a whole slew of other things.

He has been observed about 7 times this week (if not more), and we are hoping to get him tested soon. They believe he may be on the Autism spectrum, and I would agree. Now, I have been trying lots of different things to get him to participate and try to keep his hands and body to himself, only I can only do so much by myself. He helps me hold the door so that he isn't pushing people in line, he walks in the front of the line with me so I can hold his hand, and prevent him from pushing/licking his classmates. He sits at a table by himself when we are doing seatwork (which is only once or twice a day). He actually does great when he does seatwork. When sitting on the floor, he is either sitting right by me, or off to the side of the carpet so that he isn't disrupting anyone else. I give him 2 choices when he isn't following directions, so that he is in control of his choices (i.e. you may sit with the class and participate, or you may sit at your seat). He usually makes the smart choice, but can't handle it for longer than a minute or two.

I have gotten suggestions from the SPED team about using tennis balls on opposite chair legs to give him the moving sensation that he seems to need. I am also thinking about implementing a behavior reward for him which would let him get time at the end of the day to play with a transportation puzzle he enjoys. I am also going to get another little carpet to put by my chair at circle so that he can sit on a carpet, but be separated from the other students. We are working on getting him something for his sensory issue to help with him needing to constantly put his mouth on something or someone.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I am by myself with no aide. There is an aide that works in the afternoons that is available for us to use, but he has several classes that need him so I can't have him all the time. I am truly open to ANY suggestions. Thank you in advance for your help!

3. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2012

For a student like that waiting until the end of day for a reward might be very difficult. You might want to try something more instant, like a sticker on his hand or something. (He's young enough that the sticker itself should be exciting.)

4. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jul 27, 2012

That's a good idea. Thanks!

5. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jul 27, 2012

It sounds like youaretaking all of the right steps! I was going to suggest a stress ball to help Jim keep his hand busy, but not sure if that would end up in his mouth? I think it's good he will be tested ASAP because I know it's hard to meet his needs and teach the whole class at the same time.

Do the parents have any object or system that works for him at
    home? You might have a reward before lunch and at the end of the day.

Sorry I'm not much help, hopefully others will have more advice!

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 27, 2012

I had a student that used a wedge like this on the rug and sometimes at his seat, I just left him a little extra room around it: http://www.especialneeds.com/cando-inflatable-wedge.html. I also let him hold different things to squeeze, stress balls, different textured balls, small trinkets that had different textures. He had a basket where he managed getting them himself and I didn't worry about him putting his mouth on it all that much as long as it wasnt a choking hazard, and I avoided that by my choices of things to give him.

7. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2012

It seems like you are doing things you need to do. My additional advice would be to document everything. This is sometimes a challenge when you are by yourself, but your notes will be very important as you progress towards diagnosis. Best of luck!

8. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 28, 2012

I was going to suggest something like that wedge as well. Even in fourth grade, I had students who had "Squishy seats". Basically round rubber pillows on which they sat. The pillows had little nubs for the sensory needs.

Hoping you have a great year and that makes some growth. :)

9. HTCC

HTCC Rookie

Jul 28, 2012

You can tie a theraband around the front legs of his chair which will give him something to push against if he kicks his legs. The rubber pillows are great too for wiggling. A weighted blanket may help keep him calm. Unfortunately these are all mostly based around seat work which he sounds like he does well with.

10. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 28, 2012

My nephew is (now) high-functioning Autistic middle schooler. When he started school (at 3), and through about 4th grade, he had pretty severe issues. The external items that seemed to calm him the most were his weighted vest and a fabric tube that his sped teacher had for when he became overly anxious. For a while there, he used the vest almost daily. He also had wrist weights, squeezy balls, and a quiet room to which he could retreat (where the fabric tube & other stuff were).