behavior reward system

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by rosew, Feb 18, 2010.

1. rosew

rosew Companion

Feb 18, 2010

Hi..it seems my class is going through some winter crazies..talking and not listening, not following directions.etc..I was wondering what everyone uses for behavior management..I was thinking of trying a smiley face sticker reward system.also if you do some kind of chart system are your parents on board with it..

thanks

Rose

3. vbubbles1874

vbubbles1874 Companion

Feb 18, 2010

I had the same problem!!! I totally changed my behavior chart. I used library pocket and made 1 for everyone with their name on it. I cut strips of paper and placed them in the pockets. I use a star punch and for every good behavior I catch they get a star.

Rules:
    1. Stars are earned and cannot be taken away
    2. Stars are earned for poisitive and kind behavior
    3. 10 Stars = 1 treasure

Anything can be grounds for earning a star...kind words, manners, following directions, helping w/out being asked, resting quietly....etc!

After 10 stars are earned I let them choose from the treasure box. I also send how a generic reward certificate. Then we start all over again. I've had a couple of kids carry their certificate around all day. It has helped TONS!!! There is a huge difference in how the kids act now. And my parents are totally on board. I add what they did to earn stars to their daily sheets.

I figured out that positive behavior is the way to go!

Good luck!!!

4. Liljag

Liljag Companion

Feb 20, 2010

I have just started at my new school so had to pull all the stops out when it comes to behaviour management in the beginning but now I have tuned it down a bit.

My main bit these days that I use is a jar with all the kids names in it. During circle time I pull out one name but I don't say whose it is..just that if this person is really good during circle time and listens well, the class will get a star as a whole. If they do not, then no star and the name goes back in the jar. This has not happened yet and the kids are really eager for that party. I never say who won the star or who has lost it for the group. After three stars, the class gets a balloon party for circle time (since the main circle time for the whole group led by me is only once a week, this is pretty reasonable I think).

I also use puppets during circle time as a behaviour controller as well. The kids respond well with them and actually listen better to the puppet than just to me alone :) We also have a stuffed doll that travels home with the kid judged to be the most respectful during the week...and the parents write in the doll's journal about what they did over the weekend and such. The kid's really like that one.