Behavior Plan For ODD/ADD/MR student?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by life_skills_md, Feb 19, 2008.

1. life_skills_md

life_skills_md New Member

Feb 19, 2008

This is my 3rd year. I teach a high school Life Skills classroom. (self-contained, pretty high-funtioning students) I have 7 students with a range of MR and/or autism.

This particular student is VERY high-strung (resting heartrate is 100), ADD but on meds, and is displaying oppositional/aggressive behaviors. I think it's a mixture of hormones, stress from home, and just wanting to be "bad" that's causing a lot of his behaviors.

If he doesn't get attention from speaking out about odd things (which I don't acknowledge), he runs to the bathroom and or says he's hungry and HAS to go buy breakfast. Will run out of room to the cafeteria. Avoidance behaviors and attention-wanting.

He's starting to hit doors when he enters or exits the room and now the bus. He also wants to "cheat" in his art class but copying pictures instead of trying on his own. He also likes to talk out a lot, mostly about "I have homework" or "I'm not going to Gym class". Nonsense stuff.

On a real bad day, he will "flip out" and start hitting the lockers in the hall, will hit the door, jump on his chair to sit in it, rip up papers, spit on the floor or in trash, etc. If we can distract him from what upset him (which most times it's something we have no clue about), he'll calm on his own. Several times I've had to call his mom to come get him.

Me and my assistant are at our wits end with him. Not only about these behaviors, but he just is ALWAYS talking and ALWAYS wound up about something. It gets exhausting at times.

I'm trying to come up with a behavior chart that addresses some of these issues. He has a bunch of majors ones I would like to address but I don't want to overwhelm him on this first chart.

I was thinking 3 rules to start with.

Rule 1: I will raise my hand & remain in my seat.
    This addresses the talking out and running out of the room.

Rule 2: I will treat property kindly.
    This addresses the hitting of things when he's angry.

Rule 3: I will talk about the class I'm in now.
    This addresses him talking about homework from art and him wanting to cheat or not go to class. If we give him one warning to stop talking about that, then he'll not get his star.

How do you all work charts? I was going to give him a star or smiley face every time he followed that rule. And then I was going to give him an X when he didn't. Then we'd total up the numbers and see which is greater or if he got more stars than yesterday. Etc. And I'm not sure how to do the reward system. He likes computer time but it wouldn't be fair to award him with that when the other students aren't earning that either.

See...I'm stuck and unsure. I'm not even sure if I like Rule 3 now that I look at it. I guess Rule 1 could address it.

HELP!!!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 19, 2008

How about for #3: I will participate in class discussions and remain on topic...

Don't worry about the computer time not being fair to the other kids- fair doesn't mean everyone gets the same- this kid needs something that motivates him- if it's computer time, use that. You could always create a class incentive if the other kids want to work toward a goal as well- marble jar, etc...

4. bcblue

bcblue Comrade

Feb 19, 2008

You may want to break your class period into time frames--at the end of 15 minutes, a star or X for 1, for 2, for 3--so that the time frame is definitive. What I've done instead of a star or an X, is just the star (or smile, or plus, or yes, or whatever positive symbol) and at the end of each time increment, the student gets the positive mark or not. Then, set a goal--by the end of class period, if you have "_" stars, give the reinforcer. Say you have 5 possible--you might want to start with if you get a star for 3, you get the reinforcer; then as he gets better at it, you could go for if he gets stars for 4, then for all. . .

This is of course just one way to modify it, students require all kinds of different interventions!