Behavior modificator interview question

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by sunshine2, Apr 17, 2008.

1. sunshine2

sunshine2 Rookie

Apr 17, 2008

Hello everyone,
    I was asked this question during an interview:
    What behavior modificators would you use in the classroom?

I never heard the term behavior modificators before, so I did not know how to answer this question. Please help, can somebody tell me how should I answer a question like this one. Thanks

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 17, 2008

I've never heard this term before either, but I'll take a guess at it. It could be a sticker chart for a lower elementary school student where they earn a sticker for x amount of minutes where they stay on task. Behavior modificators are those things you use with students where your regular behavior plan does not work with.

4. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Apr 17, 2008

Behavior Modification is a term from the Behaviorist theory (B.F. Skinner). It means that you either want to elicit a new behavior or extinguish an existing behavior. Rewards and punishments are the methods, traditionally.

Since I bristle at the whole behaviorist concept, I always say that the first step to classroom management is to make the classroom engaging and the content relevant. Procedures and routines also work against misbehavior, because many kids will act out if they don't know what they are supposed to be doing. Class created Rules (Agreements) and consequences are also valid because they are more likely to follow rules they helped create. When someone does go off track, I refer them to the class rules, or say, "What should you be doing right now?" giving them a chance to correct themselves.

But that's just me!