Behavior Modification

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by MorahMe, Dec 13, 2010.

1. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Dec 13, 2010

I have an extremely difficult six year old student. She's smart, cute, and fun, but really hard to deal with. I need help coming up with a behavior plan that's easy to implement both in school and at home, so I can come prepared to the parent meeting (as of yet, unscheduled).

Some of her behaviors include:

*obsessing: she'll get into her head that something is funny, like the word "button" or "kidney", or even the dots on the paper showing where to start writing a letter. Once she gets it in her head, I've lost her for the rest of the day-everything will somehow remind her of it, and she starts laughing and jumping around, distracting her neighbors. She also cannot hold back a question, even after I tell her we'll talk about it after the lesson. (As in, "Yes sweetie, I know you want to know why I said you need to sit down now twice, and only once to your friend. I will talk to you about that after the lesson, right now we need to focus." Her response is "But you said...but you said...but you said...how come..."

*hitting-we'll be sitting on the carpet reading a story, when she'll suddenly hit her friend in the nose. As I'm giving her a reminder to keep her hands on her lap, she'll do it again. And then right before I move her seat, it happens a third time. A fourth time as she's getting up.

*running away-starting over the last two weeks or so, she has been running away from the classroom. It's not when she's upset about something, or when she wants something from her cubby, which is outside. It's not to go to the bathroom either. (Those were all my first thoughts.) Today, it really got out of hand. In the morning, when the Judaic Studies assistant was alone in the room (the teacher was out sick, and they couldn't find a sub), she ran to the snack machines in the high school (one floor down from us), and took two other students with her. Later, when we were going on a colors hunt through the school, she ran away to the snack machines again. She has also hid in various places throughout the school, including the gym (in the basement-we're on the fourth floor), the lunchrooms, and other classrooms.

Those are the major issues. In general, she doesn't focus well, but once I get her to pay attention, she does get things done. She has a P3, and speech therapy, and the issues follow through to there.

We've tried the traffic light system, and it worked in the beginning, but since a bit before our Hanukah break, she's been out of control. She did not know about the break until the day before either, so I don't think it was in anticipation of the break.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 14, 2010

Could some of it have been in anticipation of the actual holiday? I know that right now, my sixth graders need more reminders to stay on task and focus.

I would focus on only one or two behaviors with her. Maybe you need a keep hands and feet to self and completing a task goal. I don't know which of the behaviors is the most bothersome in the classroom...so choose only two at the most.

Could you do something as simple as when you give a direction and she follows it without talking or hitting, she gets a ticket to put into a jar or hold? Then maybe her tickets could buy her a trip to the snack machine (as she seems to like it) or other rewards.

4. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Dec 14, 2010

I think the tickets might work, if I come up with good reward ideas. Unfortunately, the snack machine is not an option, it's against school rules. We're a pre-k to 12 school, and only high school students are allowed to use the snack machines.

I guess I'll have to do some brainstorming!