Behavior Management

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Deeena, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Aug 7, 2007

I am going to be new to 5th grade this year. Can anyone share a behavior management plan that has worked well for you. Thanks!

3. peachieteachie

peachieteachie Comrade

Aug 7, 2007

During my internship in a 4th grade class I used a point system that worked really well. I would give points to groups who were working well together or following directions etc. The group with the most points at the end of the week would get to spin the prize wheel which included things such as free homework pass, being in front of the line, extra computer time etc. For the whole group, I set a goal of 300 points for the week. If we reached 300 points or more we would have extra recess on Friday. Also, the 4th grade team had a "scholar dollar" system where students could earn fake money and then buy different items at the 4th grade mall. The students seemed to enjoy it.

This year I am teaching 5th grade too (my own class - yay!) and would like to implement something similar. I was also thinking of a marble jar for the whole class and a ticket system too.

Hope these ideas help! Good luck :)

4. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2007

Use your point system but literally give something that represents a point. I use "green cards", which are small cards that are laminated and made on card stock.
    The system works in 5th grade because it's their peers that are keeping them on track.

5. Hogwarts Alum

Hogwarts Alum Rookie

Aug 19, 2007

I have a few ideas i have used:

a point system with a reward. here's the twist. i am also earning points every time they are not on task, they are talking out of turn (when it is the time to take turns talking), talking back; basically, when they do not display behavior that reflects our class constitution. they can only earn points, they cannot be taken away. they are as table points. if i have more points that week, i receive the prize, if its something like a popsicle i will eat it by myself and no one else receives one. if only one table was able to beat me they only receive the reward.

i use money (O-Bucks - my last name starts with an O) at the end of the month they can visit a store i have where they can buy pencils, erasers, stickers, jelly bracelets, etc. however, if they miss a homework and do not make it up, they owe me one O-Buck for every homework they miss.

i also got fed up with the not on task thing with these fifth graders. if i see they are totally goofing off, with one or two warnings and/or quiet reminders to get on task, their name goes under a list on the board that says not on task. if their name is still there by recess or lunch they are benched and have to finish the incomplete work. they start to get this after a few times.

hope this helped...