behavior management?

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by Miss G89, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Miss G89

Miss G89 Rookie

Oct 3, 2011

I am a student teacher who needs a little help with behavior management and classroom management. I grew up in a school where if you even looked at the teacher wrong you got into trouble. I am student teaching in a school that these kids think that they can do what ever they want when the teacher leaves the room. This is even while I am still left in the room. This is a class of 5th graders and only 1 of 25 is on a behavior plan and I normally don't have a problem with him because he listens to me. The problem I do have is with about 8 of the other 24 who just don't think that they need to listen to me and follow directions. I have tried taking away recess from them and the whole class and have not gotten far with it. They don't seem to mind to miss their recess. I have also tried the positive reward system that the school makes us use and that doesn't seem to help either. Any suggestions that you think might help?

3. kikiboniki

kikiboniki Rookie

Oct 3, 2011

hang in there! I know student teaching can be so hard! I was just in your shoes about a year ago. Good job on narrowing down your problem students to 8. That is a great start. Now, what exactly are these 8 students doing that is giving you trouble?
    Are they talking excessively? If so, you can try switching their seats...
    sounds like you are having trouble with the consequences. Have you thought about pulling each student individually aside and making a contract with them where THEY choose the consequence...

I'm no expert at this by any means, these are just thoughts :)

4. time out

time out Comrade

Oct 3, 2011

You said that these students act like they can do whatever they want when the teacher leaves the room. Do they behave for the classroom teacher? Have you spoken with the teacher about how he or she enforces the behavior system? I wonder if it has to do with how you were introduced.

I wonder if you can up the ante here. You have to find what matters to them. If missing recess doesn't faze them, what about lunch detention?

Something that I have noticed over the years is how students can act one way for me and differently for parent volunteers even when I'm still in the room. It's like they can sense how nice the parents are. For example, I don't allow call-outs and whenever a parent comes in to read they answer all call-outs and the kids catch on and it gets to the point where I have to intervene. But as soon as I resume control, they raise their hands again.

Don't let anything go, no matter how small it may seem. The stop and wait method has worked for me but doesn't work for everyone. I try my best not to let anything escalate to the point where I feel like I've lost control. As soon as one student breaks a rule, I stop and wait for the appropriate behavior. If you let one or two go, it gets harder to regain control.

Good luck!