Behavior management very large class!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by dgiselle87, Mar 25, 2010.

1. dgiselle87

dgiselle87 New Member

Mar 25, 2010

Hello. It´s my first post here. but I need some advice on strategies that could work. I teach in Mexico , 4th grade . there are 36 students in my class, 1 of the with Down Syndrome and another one with ADHD.
    I need suggestions on how to handle the class, the kids are not agressive or stuff like that but they WONT listen to instructions no matter what. I dont want to yell at them but it seems like that´s the only choice. Oh and I´m not a teacher yet Im in last year of college and I am teaching in order to graduate.

One thing to consider is that we dont have a lot of resources to give to the kids, such as awards, food coupons . I studied High School in Us but School is a little different here. :help:

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 25, 2010

One strategy I use in my large class is I take my voice down to a whisper. The children start hushing each other so they can hear what I am saying.
    Sometimes if they are getting restless and talkative we stop for just a minute and do some large motor exercises or play Simon Says to get them up and moving.

4. ginac

ginac Rookie

Mar 25, 2010

praise the good

I have done things like "raise your hand if you are listening" Praise the first few hands up and wait for the rest to put their hands up. Praise them when all hands are up and they are quiet and say something like you are so proud that they are ready to learn. Yes, do drop your voice, this works. The old bribe "we will play a game at the end of the day if we get everything done and everyone co-operates." I have even put the game time on the board 2:30-3:00 and everytime I do not like the behavior I take a minute or two off the game 2:33-3:00. You should hear the groans as you erase the time. Best wishes, but follow through on what you say you are going to do!

5. Grover

Grover Cohort

Mar 25, 2010

That's a big class for a new teacher (or pretty much any teacher). I would suggest that unless you're able to escalate your negative feedback to the point where they can't ignore it- (and who knows where that point is? Beatings? Execution) you should focus on enlisting their support. Praise and acknowledging good behavior are fine, but what's better is finding something they actually want to do. For most kids, opportunities for creative personal expression, especially with an audience, are few and far between, but highly sought after. When the program doesn't embrace this, they do it anyway, in the form of disruption. Projects in which they get to tell about themselves, their families, their dreams, are all great motivators. Not everyone will fall in line instantly, but having a large base of students who WANT to do what you're doing makes it much easier to control the few who don't.