Behavior management upgrade

Discussion in 'General Education' started by yearroundteach, Aug 6, 2011.

1. yearroundteach

yearroundteach Companion

Aug 6, 2011

I want to start fresh this year with things that didn't work and obviously keep the things that did. One thing I feel needs some tweaking is my behavior management system/plan. I started my teaching career 7 years ago with the green, yellow, red system because that is what the majority of my coworkers used. Over the years I modified it slightly by taking it off the wall for so it was more private, adding a color below red for really severe behaviors, and changing/modifying the consequences that came with each color. I have also added other things like whole class incentives (marbles in a jar and when filled get a reward), individual positive recognition, spontaneous rewards, etc.

The thing I keep coming back to is the "spotlight" discipline method (red, yellow, green). I just feel like I want to get rid of it. I think it works fine but I also feel like other things could work fine also. I think I'm also bored with it in general. And if I'm bored, maybe the kids are too? They've been seeing this system for the most part since kindergarten and I just wonder how much meaning it has to them anymore (especially for those whose parents don't seem to pay attention to it). So here is my dilema... I cannot think of another plan that is so non labor intensive, easy, and most importantly is easy to communicate to parents. It is so simple to stamp a colored dot in their agenda every day (sometimes with a note) and the parents have an idea of how their child's day went.

So my question is, what other type of system do you use? And what I really want to know is, how is that system and information about the students' day communicated to parents in a way that isn't overly time consuming? Thanks so much for any ideas!

3. MrsCK

MrsCK Companion

Aug 6, 2011

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2011

I don't use a 'system'...I just manage behaviors. We build a classroom climate where students help create the code of conduct. Students are made to feel cooperative, capable and contributing. This proactive community minimizes behavior problems, but when there are blips, I handle them quickly without losing instructional time. Consequences are used, but not publicized. Yes, I call a parent occasionally, but it's a rare occurrence. Google Linda Albert and cooperative discipline for more on creating a proactive climate and managing behaviors positively.

5. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2011

You might also look into Whole Brain Teaching.

6. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 6, 2011

Agree!

7. yearroundteach

yearroundteach Companion

Aug 6, 2011

8. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Aug 6, 2011

How do you document behavior or easily communicate behavior to parents? I use many of these same strategies, but there are times when misbehavior warrants a consequence. In those cases, what do you do?

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2011

You know the kids you need to document...in which case I just keep anecdotal notes. I don't document everything every kid does....just the behaviors that are out of the ordinary, distracting to instruction and the learning of others, disrespectful or harmful. Truthfully, I don't have to make too many calls home.
    Consequences vary as to the behavior.