behavior management techniques...what do you do?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by mcjklj, Apr 17, 2008.

1. mcjklj

mcjklj Rookie

Apr 17, 2008

I'm trying to decide what to use next year for behavior management. I was wondering what you guys use for individual and whole group reinforcement and management?? Thanks!!

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 17, 2008

I found a happy, crying, and an uh oh frog system on a website. I die cut 20 frogs and put my students' names on them. Day one, we went over 5 rules (walk, raise hand, share, be nice, listen). If they broke a rule, they moved their froggy name.

If their froggy name stayed on the happy frog, they got a smelly hand stamp. If everyone stayed on the happy frog, then I added two fuzzy balls to a jar. Once the jar was filled up, they got a class reward.

http://www.mrsnelsonsclass.com/downloads/pdf/classmanagement/behaviorchartfrogset.pdf

4. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Apr 18, 2008

I use the boring ole' stoplight system...all the kids have their name on the clothespins, they start on green and if they don't follow directions after a warning, they have to move to yellow, then to red, etc. The kids all have a calendar and everyday the square gets colored whatever color their clothespin is on so the parents know how they did everyday. At the end of the week, if they have 4 or more "green" days, they get to pick from the prize box. It's more individualized, but when all the kids are on green at the end of the day, we spend 5 or 10 minutes playing 7-up or something else they like....so they all encourage each other to stay on green :)

5. minnie

minnie Habitué

Apr 20, 2008

Peachyness, what consequences did you give your students if they landed on the crying frog?

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 20, 2008

If they landed on the crying frog, then a call or note home was made. They could also lose a privilege such as fun friday or free time. It depended on if it was a recurring event and what the misbehavior was.

All of my behavior plans focuses more on the positive rewards. So, if a group of students are misbheaving, then I will reward the behaving students. So, I did much more rewarding than anything.

7. MrH

MrH Rookie

Apr 21, 2008

I use stars... If I catch students doing good things then they get a star. Whenever they get 5 stars, they get to go in the treasure box! At the beginning of the year I hand out stars to everything done to my expectations - at the end of the year, I only give out a few stars per week. They learn my expectations and the stars become less important to them.

I use them for individuals and groups

8. kidsalot

kidsalot Comrade

Apr 21, 2008

I use a few different techniques. For a whole group icentive I use listening links. A link(paper) is `added each time the whole group is using listening ears. When the link reaches the floor we will have a celebration i.e. special treat for snack/video/extra recess etc... I also use the stoplight system. I have a stop light with a face on each color - green : smiley yellow:not too happy red: sad. I move a clothes pin to indicate when the noise level is getting too loud. Finally I have a Tree of Kindness. This is for individual reinforcement. When a child is "caught" being good they put their name on a leaf and add it too our tree. The children LOVE to add these leaves!

9. SLteaCh

SLteaCh Companion

Apr 21, 2008

For positive reinforcement I have sticker charts which, when full, can be redeemed for a trip to the treasure box (dollar store stuff). The kids get a sticker for doing their homework, and then also any other time that I see something I want to reinforce. Our school has a character education program called "Starfish" so all year long we talk about what it takes to be a good starfish. We sign a pledge about making good choices, and then if I catch students doing something particularly exemplary, they earn a starfish for our Starfish Board. I only have 5 five on it for this year. I also have a "prize box" which is just junky stuff and some candy, which I use when I want to reinforce simple skills.

For punishment I have a "Sad and Lonely" chair. This is very rarely used because all I have to say is "Would you like to be in a very sad and lonely place?" and the kids straighten up almost immediately every time. I play up the chair at the beginning of the year about how it's so sad I can't even look at it. The parents get a kick out of it and the kids think of it as different than "time out" which a lot of them are desensitized to already (what a shame!). I tell them that I am the one that's sad and lonely without them, because of the choice they made. It's just a regular chair with a big sad face on it. Does the trick!

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 21, 2008

Hey, what a good idea. If I ever go back to kinder, I'll have to borrow that idea!

11. mcjklj

mcjklj Rookie

Apr 24, 2008

MrH, where do the kids keep the stars until they have 5? Do you have desks, or do they have designated "storage?"

Thanks everyone for the great ideas! I love them! :2up:

12. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Apr 28, 2008

I LOVE the sad and lonely chair! Especially the line about you being the one that's sad and lonely without them, because of the choice they made. Great stuff!:)

13. Pecas

Pecas Companion

May 5, 2008

Each of my students starts the day with three unifix cubes. After 1 verbal warning, I begin to take cubes when students aren't following directions. At the end of the day if they have all three cubes they get a smiley note in their folder, lost one cube, it's a straight face, (With an explanation of the behavior) Lost two cubes it is a sad face, and when all three cubes are gone it's a sad face and a phone call home.

I have a special box where they put their cubes when they lose them. They keep their cubes in their school boxes. Next year I will write names on the cubes.

14. KinGeorgia

KinGeorgia Rookie

May 5, 2008

My behavior management evolves throughout the year...as the behavior worsens! :) I start out the year with each child having four spots on a ladybug (I used a red oval and four laminated spots with velcro). They had to move a spot (I had empty velcro dots at the bottom of the poster board) if they were not following rules. If they only moved one spot (or no spots) they earned a sticker, 10 stickers and they go to the treasure box. I also had students earn 'brownies' to a magnetic pan and when they filled the pan, I made brownies for them! For the end of the year, the kiddos are earning pennies...I am giving them out a lot for desirable behavior. On Friday, they covert the pennies to bigger coins during math, and then they can 'buy' items in the afternoon with their money...basicially just treasure box stuff. It is working great!