Behavior Management system?

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by kcbutterfly, Oct 6, 2006.

1. kcbutterfly

kcbutterfly Companion

Oct 6, 2006

I have 4 students that I think would benefit from a behavior management system in which they received a sticker every 30 minutes if they behaved appropriately, and then they got a prize at the end of the day if they had enough/all (I have't decided) of their stickers. However, I don't want to use this for my whole class. I currently use a stoplight type system which is effective for the rest of the class. Is it possible to have a different behavior management system for 4 students? How would I make the rest of the class feel like they were treated fairly?

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 6, 2006

Well, I have two students who have a special behavior chart where I give them a stamp in the areas that they performed well on. At first, my students asked why they didn't have the "stamp paper", but I explained that they behaved well, and so and so, needs some extra help". After that, it wasn't a problem anymore. I do a froggie chart for the whole class that works well for me. Students who stay on the happy frog gets a hand stamp at the end of the day. This lets parents know how their child did in school.

4. kcbutterfly

kcbutterfly Companion

Oct 6, 2006

Yes, my behvior system is similar. If a student stays on green the whole day, they get a happy face stamp and a sticker on their sticker chart. After 10 stickers, they get a prize from the treasure chest. So do you think telling the rest of the class that they behaved well, followed the rules, etc. would work?

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 6, 2006

Well, it worked with my class. That's not to say that it will for sure work with your class, but it helped that I didn't make it a big deal in front of the rest of my class. I quietly and quickly meet with my two students while the students are packing up.

6. FirstYrTeach

FirstYrTeach New Member

Oct 7, 2006

I have a Kindergarten student that consistently plays with himself. I have talked to the guardian about this student and the counselor. I have been discouraging his behavior. I do the red light for behavior and it doesn't seem to bother him to move to the yellow or red light. He has missed playtime and it still doesn't stop him. Do you think a behavior chart would work with him? Maybe something more individual to him?

7. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Oct 7, 2006

I have a little boy who is very defiant. He turns the simplest request into a power struggle. Even a simple request like, "Will you please put your pencil away?" he is stubborn about. He has also hit me once (it has not happened since I've talked to his parents) and he will yell, "you're not the boss of me!" when he gets disciplined for something. He also tries to stir up other kids when we are learning. He will try crawling on top of other kids, getting in their face, trying to wrestle some. It is frustrating for them and me.
    Yesterday I received some information from his Pre-K teacher who informed me that she noticed the same behavior (even though he came into pre-K pretty late in the year). She said that she learned that he is very angry b/c his mom and dad do not get along. His father had an affair but the parents still live together for financial reasons. His behavior is completely making sense now that I know what is going on at home. Should I still use a individualized behavior system with him or try something different due to his family situation?
    What I mean by “individualized behavior system” is to do a daily sticker chart similar to the systems listed in the above posts. I would break down the day into small sections and he would get a sticker if he follows the rules for each part of the day. The chart would go home each day and get signed by his parents.
    Also, here is what I’ve tried with this child: lots of positive praise and rewards when he is showing appropriate behavior (even if it’s for a min.), giving him choices “put the chair down or sit out at recess. It’s your choice.” I’ve tried talking to his parents and removing him from the rug when he is being overly distracting. I really want to see this child be successful, so any suggestions will help!

8. NELNaples

NELNaples Rookie

Oct 7, 2006

I am trying so hard not use a behavior management system and it is so much work. I think in the end it will work out for the better, it is just so much work initially!

9. NELNaples

NELNaples Rookie

Oct 7, 2006

Yipes. That is a difficult situation. I think anger or frustration probably only amplifies the situation. I think it is so specific to each child what needs to be done.

I have a little girl who has been hitting and stealing. She is the sweetest thing but yet does these things. Turns out she was hit on the bus the first day of school so her mom told her to hit back. I found this out when the translator called home and the mom was swearing at her. I instructed the children who speak Spanish to translate to her that if anyone bothers her that she is to tell me and I will take care of it but we don't hit. I understand enough Spanish to hear just not to speak!

I have also been harping on the students that we are a family and we take care of each other. Also, we do the STAR thing - when you get upset you be a star - Stop, Take a breath, A Relax. Also, other students can put you in the star too.

Also, wording is everything. I try to make students feel like they are needed. So instead of saying, bring the pencil, I say, the child's name, and can you do me a favor (and smile - never underestimate the genuine smile!) and whatever it is I am looking for. This is such a great age, they want to be helpful.

Hope this helps.

10. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Oct 7, 2006

Thanks for the tips NEL. I feel like I do some of things you have mentioned (except for the STAR thing-- I'll have to try it), but this little boy just doesn't seem to want to be helpful. I even try to catch potential problems before they arise. For example, he always wanders off when it's time to line up after recess. I try to catch him ahead of time and say, "do you think you can show the kids how we line up the right way?" Or I'll say, "Can you be the best duck in line for me today?" It hasn't worked yet. It's weird too, b/c I feel like he likes me as a teacher. He'll give me hugs, want to talk to me, etc. I've also been trying to talk to him at recess and lunch to try to develop a better relationship, but these things don't seem to be helping. I realize that a behavior system is a lot of work, but I really think it may help him to have a visual reminder of how he is supposed to behave. Then again, this is only my first year, so it's all trial and error. Any other suggestions out there? Thanks!

11. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Oct 8, 2006

What do you do? Simply correct the behavior as it happens? I student taught in a kindergarten room where the teacher simply addressed the behavior as it occured. If need be, she called parents, had the child sit at their seat instead of on the carpet, but it only took a few times...It really worked for her and I would love to use this if I get the kindergarten job. How's this working for you? Pros/Cons?

12. sbtellmann

sbtellmann Companion

Oct 8, 2006

I use the token system for all my kids. It does help some much more than others and no one feels like they are being treated any differently. I give 6 tokens a day and the kids can gain or lose them throughout the day. On Friday afternoon they go shopping in my store with their tokens. Everyone gets something.. even if you only have 1 token you can buy a sticker. It makes the children who need help want to work hard to get the top shopping prizes. I think it's pretty helpful for all the children!

13. NELNaples

NELNaples Rookie

Oct 15, 2006

Sorry

Sorry, I have been so overwhelmed lately.

Yes, this is what I do - it takes a lot of work and I have been starting everyone off on such a good tone - it seems to help. I say to them - you are almost on blue, I know you can do it. And they really seem to respond so much better this way.