Behavior Management System??

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Miss E., Jul 18, 2010.

1. Miss E.

Miss E. Rookie

Jul 18, 2010

So I went from Kindergarten to 2nd grade and now to fifth- I am a little intimiated when it comes to consequences for behavior. I have many incentives set in place, but I feel like I should have a "warning" system set in palce as well. I don't want to use the color system again like I did in the lower grades, but do not know what to do . There are other teachers that call home a lot, but I am not the teacher that stops in the middle of class to call parents-it's too disruptive. Any suggestions?? What do you all use? :2cents::help: Thanks!!

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2010

I currently use a classroom economy, so they pay me for poor behavior. If it is repeatedly happening or severe, I will require them to walk at recess time.

In the past, I have given strikes. 1st was a warning, 2nd was a note home and 5 minutes of walking at recess, 3rd was a call home and they had to walk the entire recess, and if they got to 4, it was a one-way pass to the office.

4. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 18, 2010

I give warnings. 1st warning - redirect, no consequence. 2nd warning - loss of CATime. 3rd warning - loss of CATime and half of recess. They spend their 10 minutes of recess writing about their choices. 4th warning - above plus loss of whole recess.

Students who get 4 warnings in one day also have to write a letter home and to the P telling why they had such a bad day, why is was a bad idea, and how they will ensure it doesn't happen again. (This only happens once or twice a year.)

5. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Jul 18, 2010

I have a token economy. I'm one of those teachers who will stop and call home. I cannot teach with a disruptive student. The disruption has to be serious enough-like, if the student is screaming at me. I give them 1 warning. After the first warning they will copy the rules. Third warning they will go to a buddy teacher. Fourth is an hour of after school detention.

I refuse to sacrifice my lunch. I only had to give 1 detention last year and rarely had to send a kid to a buddy teacher. I do make the students make up time if they don't line up on time after recess. If you are very structured, limit downtime, and reward good behavior, then you won't have to focus on negative consequences.

6. Miss E.

Miss E. Rookie

Jul 19, 2010

did you use physical money? like paper or they just had to keep a count of their earnings and spendings? if you used paper money, where did they keep it? how did it keep from getting lost, etc?

7. Miss E.

Miss E. Rookie

Jul 19, 2010

thank you for all ideas- aforementioned, just a little nervous about this year...i do not want them to see my fear though!! :) ive been in the school for 3 years now and so they know my face (i am very involved in all activities) so hopefully it wont be a difficult transition...

8. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jul 19, 2010

Interesting! Where do they walk and how do you monitor to make sure they are doing this?

9. azdsrtdwllr

azdsrtdwllr New Member

Jul 20, 2010

I have taught 4th/5th grades for many years. I use an infraction slip that has my classroom rules on one side and "Today I...", "I will improve my behavior by...", student signature and parent signature on the back. If I have to give the student more than one redirect, then they check the rule they broke and this is just a warning. Two checks result in a consequence at the next recess that "fits the crime," (ie, completing homework, sitting out, picking up trash, etc.). Three checks results in losing two recesses. For two checks or more, the slip goes home to be signed by parents. Students are responsible for filling out the slip, but it is reviewed by me before going home for the "whole" truth. I keep these once they are returned for my documentation. I like this system because each day is a new day, and students have to take responsibility for their behavior by recording it themselves, also parents hear about their behavior in a timely fashion.

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2010

Paper money- like Monopoly money. They are responsible for keeping up with it. They have to keep it safely put up. I suggest for them to put it in their required pencil pouch.
    If it was left laying around for someone to steal, it was their fault for taking not taking care of it.

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2010

They walk between a fence post and a tree- right in front of the bench I sit on. So, I can tell if they are talking or what-not.

We can not take away physical activity by law- but I can (and do!) take away their choice of which activity they participate in!

12. substitutesftw

substitutesftw Companion

Aug 9, 2010

Miss E. try to make a behavior policy for individuals, and one for the whole class.

A classroom economy is my favorite. Other teachers have students sign a binder called "the Book" as a demerit system, where they write their name and the classroom rule they disobeyed.

A classroom management system, where the whole class contributes to the same effort, is really good for this age group. They start to police themselves and work toward a common goal. Add marbles or tickets for good behavior to a jar. Maybe for each good note from the sub, or each day you give no demerits, you will add a marble/ticket/whatever. Tell students that once it is filled, they get a major reward (maybe a special movie day or something).

13. queenie

queenie Groupie

Aug 9, 2010

I have these little cardboard drink coasters that I use. When a child is misbehaving I place a "card" on his desk. He knows this means he will receive "reteaching" of the particular behavior. It translates into that he has lost 5 minutes of recess (am) or PAT Time (pm). [Each card takes away 5 minutes.] If more than 3 cards in the am or 2 in the pm are received, I call home that afternoon. The first week of school I give out TONS of these. Eventually only a few kids receive cards every couple days or so. I used to use a system where the kids moved cards, but it was like giving them second chances and they always seemed to push the limits...then I used a token system and didn't like rewarding students for doing what was expected of them. I really liked the card system last year. This year I plan to give stars out when students are doing something exceptionally good and reward those with stickers, notes home, etc.

14. kapdel

kapdel Rookie

Aug 11, 2010

I use many different things for management.

For tables, I use table points.
    Individuals have the "turn a card" system.
    Whole Class uses the Classroom Economy.

All of the management is used to further the Classroom Economy. Students earn, spend and are fined money based on their behavior and performance in the class.

15. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2010

This sounds like a simple plan. Where did you get the cardboard coasters. Is there something else that one could use in place of the coasters?

16. crayoncaper

crayoncaper Rookie

Aug 13, 2010

I also use a token system. The students are issued credit cards. When they reach a limit of too much bad behvaior or missing assignments, then they lost their card and do not get it back until they make up the "over the limit" charges. They get to use the money they earn on the card once a month and I buy items from Oriental Trading.

17. substitutesftw

substitutesftw Companion

Aug 15, 2010

^ Cool. How do they earn back over the limit charges?

18. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2010

I did the economy thing when I taught fifth but if I ever teach fifth again, I won't do it. WAY too much work.

I will gladly stick to P.A.T.!!!

19. Miss E.

Miss E. Rookie

Aug 15, 2010

PAT?