behavior management plan...help

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by chrissy, Aug 6, 2007.

1. chrissy

chrissy Rookie

Aug 6, 2007

I am a brand new to teaching and I am so excited about teaching first grade. :) I am having a hard time deciding on what type of behavior management system I want to implement. I had originally thought of doing a type of green, yellow, red light system - consequences for ending up on red and rewards for staying on green resulting in a trip to the treasure box when the incentive chart was full.

However, I've been reading about the benefits of reinforcing positive behavior as opposed to recognizing and essentially calling attention to negative behavior.

I understand that it would be more time consuming to constantly be looking to recognize students for the good that they are doing but it is a sacrifice that I am willing to make if it works as well as I am reading that it does.

Has anyone ever implemented a system of reinforcing good behavior solely as a method of behavior management? How did it compare to a method where the negative behavior was given the attention instead, and how did you make clear that there were consequences for negative behavior without actually calling attention to it at the time?

Sorry, I know this is a long post, I'm just torn between what to do and I would greatly appreciate the advice/suggestions from all of you
    experienced teachers out there ;) :thanks:

3. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Aug 8, 2007

Think of reinforcing positive behavior as an opportunity for students to model, model, model for one another!

During student teaching in first grade, I did a treasure chest system with money that the students earned and kept in their desks until Friday (payday!), when they could go to the treasure chest if they had $1.00. It reinforced learning how to add money. However, some kids would lose their money, so it ended up kinda being a mess in some ways. What if you did a ticket system where you handed out those little admission style tickets (like you can get at a dollar store or Oriental Trading) for catching students being good. The kids would then write their names on the back and put the tickets in a fishbowl or something. At the end of the day or week or whatever you choose, draw a certain number of names and those children could pick from a treat box. I think it's less upkeep that way than the red/yellow/green light, and you're only drawing positive attention to a student.

For negative behaviors, you could have a "time out" seat (say, if a child is not listening during a read aloud) and send a note home. As an 8th grade teacher last year, I found having the child write a note home explaining what happened and why it was wrong, and the child, you and the parent signing it and returning it to school (keep for documentation) was wonderful. A couple parents commented on how helpful they found it during conferences. If behavior continues, you could do a behavior contract with the child and the child's parent/guardian.

4. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Aug 8, 2007

I am going into my second year of teaching second grade and these werw the ideas I used last year:

1. Individual reinforcement- basically exactly what snickydog said about the tickets. I just do it randomly as I see students doing a great job and setting an example for those around them who may not be doing so good. On Fridays once the room looks clean and we are all packed up I draw 2 tickets to pick a prize. I think this year I may pick more like 4-5 tickets each week.
    2. Table group reinforcement- I have my kids seated in groups of 4-5 so each day I am looking for great examples of teamwork and quiet work during independent time. Each table has a little basket/caddy (from $1 store) with a cup in it. I will go around and drop a pom pom in the cups I see working well together. On Fridays they count up how many pom poms they have and the table with the most gets a small prize like a fancy pencil, etc.
    3. Whole group- Last year I began doing a bean jar. I would draw 5 beans on the board and if students behaved all day as an entore class they would get 5 beans added to the jar. If the class was misbehaving I would erase a bean...some days they only ended up getting 1 bean. Once the jar is filled they would vote on some kid of class treat/party. I had trouble keeping up with this/making it fair a few months into the year. I will need to rethink this for the upcoming year.

5. snoangel

snoangel Rookie

Aug 10, 2007

This is my first year teaching 1st too! I think that the tickets are a good idea. I might try that.
    As a classroom reinforcer, I'm going to have a marble jar. This is kind of like the bean jar. I'll put a marble or two in the jar when they are doing awesome. If I need to I will remove marbles. When the jar is full we'll have a cupcake party or another type of party that the class decides upon.
    Also, another 1st grade teacher at my school had a large list of names laminated. She would use a vis-a-vis marker and make a tally mark by a students who were doing awesome. After 10 tallies, they got to get a sticker/prize. Whenever she whipped out the pen all the students would get to work!

6. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Aug 10, 2007

I like the whole class bean jar idea. I've done that with marbles but usually only in the spring during "tattle tale season". Every teacher gets it the closer you get to the end of the year. I'll see if I like doing it earlier using your ideas only using marbles instead of beans. I have a little wire apple I collect them in so it doesn't take forever to fill it up.

7. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Aug 13, 2007

I'm using tickets this year too! I inherited a couple big rolls of them!

When I taught 3rd, I used a 'marble jar' but put in green marbles for good whole class behaviors & red marbles when the class was not so hot... On Fridays, I would close my eyes and pull one out. If it was green, everyone got a prize...if it was red, nobody did. It also doubled as a nice lesson on probability!