Behavior management in lower elementary

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by giraffe326, Feb 17, 2014.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 17, 2014

I abhor clip charts. The teacher I took over for (and practically the rest of the school!) used/uses one. I've been hitting my class hard with changes, and I'm ready to change the behavior management system.

I would like to do a simple :), :|, :( face that goes home daily. They have daily folders, but I find that they are rarely checked by parents. :(

And other ideas for K?

(Background- I took over for a teacher that couldn't handle the class. They're a rough group!)

3. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Feb 17, 2014

I don't have a fancy system. I also don't report on behavior daily. Everyone gets a bad day here and there. When the behavior becomes a pattern I call parents. Basically I train for routines and procedures. Then I give directions. Students who don't follow the directions either practice the procedure again OR if they have broken a rule, they get a consequence. Pretty basic.

I do have a class-wide reward system - when everyone is on task I put a handful of dry macaroni in a jar. When the jar is full, we celebrate.

4. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Feb 17, 2014

I have a similar thing going on as MissScrimmage. Logical consequences! I do not report on behaviors daily except for any friends on an individual behavior plans. If I see unusual behavior or a pattern of negative behavior I will contact parents. You K students most likely will not remember or be unclear as to why specifically they have a frowny day by the time they get home, and if the folder isn't checked...probably not necessary. I am big on positive reinforcement and focusing on the behavior you want, not the behavior you don't!

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 17, 2014

I've seen a whole-class reward system used, although it was in6th grade, those students acted like 4-5th, and I think this can work with lower grades.
    You have the space for all the letters on the board for a phrase, or just a word, like _ _ _ _ _ etc.
    every day the whole class has a great day, you write one of the letters in a space. When they don't have a great day, they don't get anything, when it's a particularly bad day, you can even erase one, it's up to you. When the phrase / word gets spelled out, they can have a celebration.

I like this because it's flexible:
    - you choose the word / phrase. For a bad group, they probably need a shorter word like 'respect', and as they get better and better you can have longer words, even phrases.
    - you manipulate how you want it used, you don't have to erase a letter, so it's only positive reinforcement, but it's up to you
    - you decide what's a 'great day', for a really bad group, something ok might warrant a letter, because you gotta start somewhere and then you can tighten things up
    - you decide on the celebration based on the school, the age group, etc. It can be something small or big.

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 17, 2014

I like the smiley face - straight face - sad face idea, because it's simple. But if the folders don't get checked, it will have no purpose in sending it home, especially if the child can't communicate what happened.
    You can still use it, but for yourself. At the end of the week the child can have a reward depending on the results, like no more than 1 sad face, or at least 3 smiley face, you can also have it depending on the individual child. If he / she is really challenging, every day, even 1 smiley face / week can earn a reward.

It sounds like it can be a lot of work, but it's always better spending the time on managing the behavior than spending twice as much on correcting it. Later on you can drop it if they're back on track.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 17, 2014

I'm grade 3, so I know it's different (have also taught preK and K as well as 2nd), but you don't want to get yourself into something too time consuming...I've got one third grader on a contact and another on a points plan and even with just two students I find it time consuming.
    Group rewards (marble jar, spell a word on board) are pretty easy and gets the kids to work as a team...I just wouldn't take away any marbles/letters once earned.

8. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Feb 17, 2014

Do you have to use the clip system? We have a similar system that is required K-1, except ours also gives points for positive behavior.

I agree with a PP that said the consequences should be natural. Don't remember the procedure? Time to practice it. Doesn't want to pick up manips? Wait it out. Made a mess cutting? Clean it up.

I would save the clip chart for things like hitting, pushing, fighting, lying etc.

Give lots of positives. With the system that my school uses everyone who was "on base" I gave some sort of reward to, usually a small sticker. Sometimes it was an extra recess.

Good luck. Feel free to PM me.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 17, 2014

I definitely don't want something time consuming!
    I just have a LOT of behavior issues in my class. As in 2/3 of them are a problem every hour of the day. I'm working on breaking bad habits, but it is hard. They walked all over their old teacher! (And she let them!!!!!!) We have tears a lot because I don't mean business. Our focus right now is following directions the FIRST time they are given. It is slow going....

I just fear that the parents all think their child is wonderful and everything is great. I don't think there were many consequences before. I have kids that start crawling and growling in the hallway on the way to specials- this was allowed before!!!!!!

10. minnie

minnie Cohort

Feb 19, 2014

I have three stars velcroed on their tables. If they keep all of their stars for the day, they get their card punched. When they get five punches, they get a very small piece of candy. When their whole card is punched, they get to go to the treasure box (on average, about once a month or month and a half). If they break a rule after they have been given a free warning, they have to give me a star and so on. I have sheet of paper in their homework folder that they take home everyday that has three stars for each day of the week. If they kept all of them, I would put a sticker on that day. If they lost a star, I would cross it out and briefly explain what happened. I have a small class so this may not work for a bigger class

One time, when I had an extreme behavior problem, he had three warning before I had to take a star. I would put three tally marks on his table with a dry erase marker (I know you'd think that he would erase them, but he didn't). Every time I had to warn him of something, I would take a tally mark away. If I had to take all of the tally marks away, THEN I would take a star.

Also, I have a jar that I fill with a scoop of popcorn seeds when the whole class is doing something I like or if a teacher compliments my class. When it gets to the top, they get to have an educational video with popcorn the last 30 minutes of the day.

11. asha

asha Rookie

Feb 19, 2014

I started to read a lot about that Whole Brain Teaching. I tried out that Class/yes to get the attention of the class, and I have to say it is working. I have to say from watching those videos on YouTube, the class gets very involved and I think it eliminates a lot of those behaviors. Just a thought.

12. missklyssa

missklyssa Rookie

Feb 23, 2014

Have you tried ClassDojo? I use it in conjunction with my whole group behavior system and my clip chart. Basically you reward/take away points for different behaviors. It works WONDERS when we're doing centers and I add or subtract points using the app on my phone. The kids hear the sound through the SMARTboard and are usually pretty quick to get back on task.

5 points - moving their clip up to white (this equals 5 hole punches on their punch card)
    10 points - 5 hole punches
    20 points - shoes off (in our room only) or extra computer time
    30 points - lunch with me in the classroom

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 23, 2014

I've used Class Dojo in the past, but cell phones are a no-no, I do not have an interactive whiteboard, and I only have 1 desktop computer. I find it difficult to manage with only a desktop :(

14. missklyssa

missklyssa Rookie

Feb 23, 2014

Wow..that really stinks! What about a class behavior system? I have a cookie sheet that hangs by the door and when the whole class does something (maybe everyone was on the carpet when the clean up song was over or everyone was quiet in the hallway) I put one magnetic animal on it. When all 5 animals are on the cookie sheet we put a body party on Mr. Potato Head and when he's all filled up the entire class earns a reward.

Is hallway behavior is an issue, maybe try having a mystery walker?

15. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Feb 23, 2014

I second the mystery walker in the hallway. That helps us on our long trek to the library.

16. queenie

queenie Groupie

Feb 26, 2014

My plan requires some circles (foam, cardboard, or drink coasters, for example), some pre-printed notes home, and a rules & consequences chart.

Rules:
    Be kind.
    Think before you talk.
    Follow Procedures.

Consequences:
    1 Card = 5 minutes recess
    2 Cards = 10 minutes recess and a note home
    3 Cards = move your seat away from rest of class
    4 Cards = lose group activities
    5 Cards = time out in another classroom

I explain, model and have students practice the expectations.
    I give cards whenever they are earned.
    I don't lecture, beg, or warn.
    Kids make choice and I honor them.
    If a note is sent home and not returned:
    Day 1: NO recess and call parents

Minimal time is lost EVER for behavior issues. No one has received 4 cards in one day in the three years I've been using this program, and I love it!