Behavior Management- I'm in trouble.

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by onetwothreeteach, Dec 11, 2016.

1. onetwothreeteach

onetwothreeteach Rookie

Dec 11, 2016

Hi all,
    As you may have seen from my previous posts, I am a first year teacher. I was hired a week after graduating in May and was beyond excited to pursue my dream job in my dream district. However, things have not gone as planned.

I have had numerous behavior issues this year, despite having high expectations for my students, that we went over at the beginning of the school year. These behavior issues are something that I am consistently working at, as I know that the students' behaviors need to improve. Friday, I received an email from my P, who says that we need to meet tomorrow. In short, numerous parents have 'complained' this fall about my class. Stating things such as, 'there students are not learning what they need to learn' and that the class is 'chaos,' Which are all things that I would agree with. However, 95 percent of my students ARE doing what they need to be doing, it is the 5 percent who are not, that are 'ruining' my classes. This 5 percent are students who are having difficulties in other settings as well.

Because of this, not only do I need to meet with him tomorrow, but he has added additional work to my plate as well, such as video tapping my classes and writing a paper on each, as well as my expectations and how I am going to reteach each one.

Any advice for meeting with my P (the assistant P will be there as well)? I am beyond a nervous wreck and couldn't sleep all weekend. The minute someone tried talking to me, I busted out in tears.

Again: I don't think that it is all of the kiddos, but only one or two per class. This is really bumming me out.

3. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Dec 11, 2016

Granted, I am not a first year teacher, but I probably wouldn't go into that meeting by myself. Do you have a mentor or a union rep who can attend with you?

Can you be specific about the behavior issues you are seeing? We may be able to give you more advice with more info.

anon55, Backroads and justwanttoteach like this.
  4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 11, 2016

Go in with a plan on how you will better manage the misbehaving students, how you will remediate and challenge your students, and how you will forge better communication with parents/repair their image of you as a teacher. You can not go in and blame those few kiddos- its your job to get it under control... disruptive behaviors do affect the learning of all your students. Acknowledge that, go in with data showing that kids ARE learning and with the outlined plan I suggested on how you are going to make changes immediately.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 11, 2016

Welcome back to A to Z, onetwothreeteach. Your two threads on behavior management have been merged into one. A to Z forum policy strongly discourages multiple threads on the same topic at the same time by the same member, on grounds that spreading a discussion across threads dilutes the discussion.

(No, you're not in trouble with the moderators: you're entitled to an explanation, and it provides a good opportunity to remind other relatively new members, is all.)

6. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Dec 11, 2016

7. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Dec 11, 2016

What consequences have you implemented or tried for that 5% of students?

I agree that it could be good to go into the meeting with a plan for how you're working to improve.

I'm sorry, though. That sucks. No teacher is perfect their first year, and it would be better for you to receive additional support rather than additional work.

You might also ask if you can observe another teacher's class to see what techniques they use to manage behavior.

8. onetwothreeteach

onetwothreeteach Rookie

Dec 11, 2016

I typically do one verbal warning, a second warning which may be verbal or nonverbal and my third time that I have to redirect a student they are sent out of the classroom to either the hallway or the office.

9. onetwothreeteach

onetwothreeteach Rookie

Dec 11, 2016

Thank you for letting me know.

10. onetwothreeteach

onetwothreeteach Rookie

Dec 12, 2016

My biggest issue is talking (be it when I am talking, when others are talking or when it has been established that it is independent work time). Secondly, non-compliance/disrespect are big issues as well. I will often times tell a student to do something or to stop doing something, and they will completely disregard my words.

11. onetwothreeteach

onetwothreeteach Rookie

Dec 12, 2016

The issues that my P are probably referring to, however, are the issues exhibited by the small number of students. These are: laying on the floor, yelling (at all times for no reasons in particular), falling out of chairs, sitting in seats that are not their assigned seats.

12. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Dec 12, 2016

Are you able to give detention?

13. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 12, 2016

Also make sure you will let your P know how many and who are your behavior students. It's one thing t have 5 % of the kids with behavior problems, and another to have entire class misbehaving with no learning going on (I'm sure he heard this version from the parent)

14. Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo Comrade

Dec 12, 2016

Write down the trouble makers names and ask for them to be placed in ether special ed or ISS (In school suspension) or sent to the bad kids school for the rest of the year.

P.S.
    Then write down, if that is done then the class will be in Heaven and the whole class will be happy and full of joy.

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 12, 2016

Special Ed is not a place to send students who are misbehaving in class. What is a "bad kids school"?

16. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Dec 12, 2016

What age level is this?

17. TeacherCuriousExplore

TeacherCuriousExplore Cohort

Dec 12, 2016

I have known some schools and especially the High School that I attended growing up that would send behavior students to Special Ed or Iss

18. TeacherCuriousExplore

Dec 12, 2016

They seem like upper elementary, middle, or High

19. TeacherCuriousExplore

Dec 12, 2016

As one person stated, go into the meeting with a plan and a union rep or znd person. Many adminstrators will try to give you assignments or duties that are not stated in the contract.

My plan would consist of
    1.ways to communicate effectively with parents(I never communicate with the parents about their behaviors unless they are out of freaking control. Thank God I never went through anything like that)
    2. What I am doing in class as well as progress of the other students
    3 Behavior log of the 5 percent that are acting out. (I am shocked no teacher mention this. In this profession, you always have to observe and log bad behaviors and keep them in a note pad or in a file that is only attainable to you)
    4. Work samples or progess of the 5% so that you are able to compare it with the majority of the class that is learning.

Classroom management all depends on the age of children. Being that I teach Pre-K my management skills would be different from the way I manage upper elementary, middle, or high school kids.

Being that you are a first year teacher, you may not want to ruin your reputation by being a teacher that does not know how to handle the classroom. Try going to classroom management training. In all honesty, teaching is one of those careers where either you got it or you don't. Yeah the degrees are good, but what really matters is how well you are on the job.

Let us know how it went

20. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 12, 2016

This makes no sense. First of all, special ed is not punishment or isolation for behavior problems, it is there because those students have special needs and their teacher is trained in how to best teach and help them.
    To send the kids to "bad kids school", you mean alternative ed? community school? That means the kid has to be expelled and documentation needs to be in place.

Your advice would not help the OP one bit, blaming the kids is not what to do here.

anon55 and ms.irene like this.
  21. TeacherCuriousExplore

Dec 12, 2016

Sometimes you have to blame the kids. Not everything is the teacher's fault. Some kids are truly bad because their parents got them that way.

22. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 12, 2016

But it will not help if you do that when you're answering questions about our class' behavior problem.
    You can tell the P the things you have done, what your expectations are, how you implemented and communicated them, what you do every day to correct behavior, what consequences there are, how you follow up etc. How you ensure that the rest of the class can in fact learn. And then, you can tell that X, Y and Z students are just not responding to any of these strategies, and there's no support from home (no return phone calls, no follow up from parent, etc).
    This looks fine, but saying "I have very bad kids and I can't do anything, since the parents raised them like that" will not be effective.

MissScrimmage likes this.
  23. TeacherCuriousExplore

Dec 12, 2016

So
    Sometimes you got to tell it like it is

24. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 12, 2016

I get it, yes. But if I felt that I was in trouble, I would say it differently, compared to when I'm just talking with my P, brainstorming on what to do with some of the kids. It's all about timing, and perspective. You say the wrong thing at the wrong time, your principal forms an opinion of you and your teaching, and then it will take a school year to undo the damage.
    Well, that's just my opinion, do it your way when you're in this situation :)

anon55 likes this.
  25. Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo Comrade

Dec 12, 2016

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  26. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Dec 12, 2016

How did the meeting go?

27. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 13, 2016

This. You are a brand new teacher, so go in prepared to talk about everything you have tried. Bring documentation if you have it (i.e. records of specific behaviours, notes from phone calls home, logs of attempted calls/messages left, etc.). Be open to any strategies your admin suggests and then document how they work.

28. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Dec 15, 2016

Still wondering how things went for the OP. Let us know. We care.

29. onetwothreeteach

onetwothreeteach Rookie

Dec 16, 2016

I really appreciate this, RainStorm. You have no idea. I often feel very alone and isolated about these sorts of things.

30. onetwothreeteach

onetwothreeteach Rookie

Dec 16, 2016

Update: I meet with my Principal and he was beyond supportive. Instead of going into the meeting with "these are the things you are doing wrong/are not going well," he instead provided me with a list of supports and interventions that he would like me to try as a 'next step.'

One thing that he ask that I do is watch my teaching, with these particular kiddos. I have located a device to do so and will video tape next week.

Coming back from winter break, he said would be a perfect time to start new with these students. He would like me to have a list of clear expectations and reteach these to my students the first day back. He also suggests that I implement a nonverbal three strikes and 'out' routine. The first few days back, he anticipates a lot of students in his/the AP's office, and is okay with that.

So...teachers, what expectations/rules should I have? I thought that I did have clear and concise rules already, but clearly not. Our school is going to be moving to the terminology of 'zones' in order to categorize instruction, and my P thought that perhaps I could pilot this in my classroom. In short, zone one is instruction, zone two is collaborative work and zone one is independent work. Therefore, I would have expectations for each 'zone,' of learning. Thoughts?

ms.irene and catnfiddle like this.
  31. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Dec 17, 2016

We didn't call them zones, but I've used a flip chart and I'd flip back and forth between expectations for each activity. It was very successful!

32. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 17, 2016

It sounds like you have a very supportive admin, which is fantastic! I'm so glad you were given a list of supports and interventions to try. Be sure to keep him in the 'loop' with how things are going.

I haven't used the word 'zones' before, but think about what you expect from students during:
    1. Teaching time (zone 1)
    - how should they be sitting/showing they are listening
    - what if they need to go to the bathroom/get a drink
    - how should they handle any manipulatives
    - what should they do if they want to speak during a discussion

2. Collaborative work (zone 2)
    - roles during group work
    - can they wander to other groups
    - what if they need your help
    - volume
    - setting up and putting away materials
    - accountability for participation
    - what does a good group member look like
    - solving conflict with a group member

3. Independent work (zone 3)
    - where should they be
    - volume
    - what if they need help
    - can they go to the bathroom/get a drink
    - what do they do if they finish
    - expectations for manipulatives or other materials

These are not exhaustive lists, but some ideas to get started.

I would create anchor charts with the students for each zone. On the anchor chart I would set up a T-chart and write "students" on one side and "teacher" on the other. Then, in January I would sit the class down and discuss your expectations for zone 1 - record the students' job on their side and have them come up with what your role is and record it on the other. Then I would review it, practice it, model it and review it again ad nauseum every time you are getting ready for teaching time. The chart should be flexible, depending on the situation, but get your baseline expectations on the anchor chart.

Rinse and repeat for zones 2 and 3.

ETA: The reason why you include the teacher's role is because it is important to discuss how everyone has a job in learning, and if both groups do their job, everyone can learn. But if the students aren't doing their jobs, then the teacher can't either and learning is affected.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
    Rigoroused, bella84 and Linguist92021 like this.
  33. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Dec 17, 2016

This is a great idea. I need to use this.

34. Rigoroused

Rigoroused Rookie

Dec 18, 2016

Establishing clear routines and procedures is what will save you. If you have every aspect of the class mapped out, the students will know what to be doing at any given time. Things like: Being allowed to shout out answers or questions, walking in to the classroom as they please, getting up to sharpen pencils, get a tissue, etc... have a routine or procedure for each of these potential "ignition" points. I start by taking the entire class in the hall, and have each of them follow my explicit directions to enter the room, every time one person does not follow it, we start over. This sends the message that you expect what you say... Another thing that will help with this is a classwide incentive system. I use marbles. Every time 100% of the students are doing EXACTLY what you asked, they get 3 marbles. After a while, when they reach a certain point, they can have an "incentive day"... Could be a structured free day, structured movie day, food, etc... Form these routines and procedures with the 5% mind. The other 95% will probably be little disruption in the process. Try setting up a hierarchy of consequences (3-4 warnings maximum, and each one is slightly more "severe" than the one prior, the final warning being a referral to the office). What I had to change in my mind was ASSUMING the kids "SHOULD JUST KNOW" how to behave at any given point. Let them prove this, not you assume it. I give all of these ideas as a person who went through the same thing. Once I changed my mindset by not assuming the kids "should just know", I started getting better results.... Of course, the most important aspect of this, is forming positive relationships with them... The relationship is the "lubricant" to routines and procedure.

When entering in to transitions, be very explicit: "When I say go, you will silently, move from seat 1 to seat 3, in 5 seconds.... GO" then begin to say out loud who is doing what you directed(about 3), give a warning to the ones who aren't doing exactly what you directed, but be specific: "Michael, that is your first warning, you are supposed to be silent", don't argue, don't engage, etc... Simply state fact. There is much more to my advice, and as time goes on, all of this "structure" becomes inherent, and you do not have to "deal" with behavior issues as much.

I would love to have an opportunity to be more clear with what I mean, and I DEFINITELY feel your pain! Let me know if I can help, or expand out on what I said.

Keep at it! it WILL get better!
    Ryan
    @MrRCF

35. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 27, 2016

1. Teachers don't typically have the power to assign students to ISS, DAEP, or Special Ed.

2. Special ed is not a dumping ground.

3. Oh my.

36. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 28, 2016

I'm starting to think that you're a high school student, or maybe even younger? No teacher or substitute teach would call a school "bad kids school", there are names for anything like that. and most of your posts don't really make sense, it sounds like a young kid is writing them.

swansong1 and teacherintexas like this.
  37. Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo Comrade

Dec 28, 2016

38. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 28, 2016

I was a sub for 2 years, not that long ago, I clearly remember the differences in roles, responsibilities, daily struggles, advantages and disadvantages. I was just saying you sound very juvenile.

39. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 28, 2016

No, I MUST NOT know what those schools are called, I'm the one who told you that's it's probably alternative ed, or community school, etc. I work at one of those, and have been for 5 years. I would never refer to them as "bad kids school". that just sounds dumb.

40. Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo Comrade

Dec 28, 2016

41. Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo Comrade

Dec 28, 2016