Behavior Management Ideas

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by mariah, Aug 7, 2007.

1. mariah

mariah Rookie

Aug 7, 2007

At my school we give daily grades for behavior (E,S,N,U). Each day the students write their letter on their behavior chart and it goes home to be signed by parents. Most teachers on my team do a card turning or clip moving type of behavior management, so whichever letter the card or clip is on at the end of the day is the one the student records and students can move up and down the continuum. But I'm not the biggest fan of those systems. So, I'm left with the dilemma of how to determine and help students track what letter they are on during the day without having it be a hugely public class thing. Any suggestions?

3. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Aug 7, 2007

I give each student a number at the beginning of the year. I use the card pulling technique; however, the pockets are numbered. This way if parents or community members come in the classroom they do not know who has had a card pulled. I try to have the children keep their number as their secret number, but that does not always work. It does help for the behavior chart to be visible to the students because it gives them a sense of responsiblity to their actions. I hope this helps.

4. asiltropwen

asiltropwen Rookie

Aug 8, 2007

maybe you could display the letters ESNU in your classroom and have a clothespin with each child's name on it and they would all be at the E to start and could move their names to the appropriate letter as you see fit! ( Kind of like the stop light behavior management)