Behavior Management for Interview

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by lehcar1021, Jun 3, 2008.

1. lehcar1021

lehcar1021 Rookie

Jun 3, 2008

I have an interview for a K position for next year. I have taught 3rd and 1st. I know one of the question will be about behavior management. I asked some of the K teachers in my building and they said they had to try several different strategies throughout the year. Does anyone have a specific behavior management plan or some ideas that would help me in an interview? Any other ideas or points I should be sure to bring up in the interview. I really want to get back into a lower grade!!!!

3. ebmatthe

ebmatthe Rookie

Jun 3, 2008

i use different things for behavior management. for a personal behavior plan, i have the "road to responsibility". it is a road that i made that has a green, blue, yellow roads, and at the top is a red stop sign. the idea of it is to stay on green. each child has a car that is glued to a clothes clip. if they break rules, their car is moved. there is a sheet in their folder that goes home everyday.. it serves as a behavior log and my newsletter. i mark which color they were on and have space to write comments...

as a class, i use a marble jar. i keep it either in the front of the classroom or i take it to my table during center time. i don't use the marble jar as much as i would like to.. i honestly forget about it, but it really works when they are trying to earn something. there are lines that i drew on the jar that they need to fill up to for certain things... if they are working quietly, get a compliment from another teacher, line up nicely, hear another student using great manners.. any type of whole group praise, i will add marbles to the jar. if they get loud, i will give the jar a shake as a reminder.. it helps me cut back on having to ask them to be quiet.. all it usually takes is that one shake, they start telling their groups to be quiet. if they don't, then i take marbles out.

the main thing that i would tell them during your interview is that you would have a personal behavior, and also a whole group.. try to base it off positive reinforcement as much as you can. i'm thinking about adding another color to my road next year that you can go to if you had a GREAT day.. maybe start at green, and if you just are great, then move to purple or something like that...

i hope this helps some.. if you need pictures or anything let me know. i'd be glad to share.

4. modgirl

modgirl Rookie

Jun 4, 2008

This sounds great! I would love it if you would post pictures. I just finished my first year of K and behavior management is definitely something that I am thinking about!

5. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Jun 4, 2008

Well when intervjiewing I would keep it simple and say something like love and logic or better for young children a consistent set of rewards and consequences so they know what to expect. and always tie parent communication into your behavior plan. Principles love to hear that! There is not one magical plan. Just be firm and consistent in whatever you do! Good luck

6. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Jun 5, 2008

ebmatthe---i would like to see some pics if you wouldnt mind.

7. little317

little317 Groupie

Jun 5, 2008

When I interviewed for a K position I was fairly basic. I told her what my general expectations were for behavior and how I might communicate it with parents. Also, give her examples of a positive reinforcement you would let kids earn and then share ideas on how you may handle a tough behavior challenge. Even if you don't actually use all of the strategies or plans mentioned in your interview, at least your princpal would know that you are thinking ahead and have a good understanding of classroom management.

8. ebmatthe

ebmatthe Rookie

Jun 5, 2008

i don't have any pictures directly of the "road to responsibility".. but here are some links to pictures i had at the beginning of this past year of my room that it made it into.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=32692445&id=6500057&l=f0483#pid=32692446

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=32692445&id=6500057&l=f0483#pid=32692445

i took small car cutouts that i got from school aids and glued them to clothes clips that clipped around the sides of the green road. they worked pretty well, but the more the students handled them, the cars popped off. they had to resort to clipping the car to the road, which worked but was annoying...

hope this helps!