behavior management for high school

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by bridgetbordeaux, Aug 4, 2008.

1. bridgetbordeaux

bridgetbordeaux Companion

Aug 4, 2008

I am going to be subbing for all grade levels this fall.
    I feel pretty confident with elementary and middle kiddos but what about high school? I am not real sure how to get their attention and keep it focused on the lesson. I am majoring in Early Childhood so I haven't read a whole lot about teenaged behavior. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!:eek:

3. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Aug 4, 2008

4. jhsl

jhsl New Member

Aug 5, 2008

High school kids prefer more freedom but they still want to be involved in decision making. Student-centered lessons are important. We need to be firm but caring.

5. jhsl

jhsl New Member

Aug 6, 2008

Dear BB, I also know so much more about little children than teenagers...that is before i started my practical at a high school.Anyway I hope my comments are helpful.Just hang in there .....good luck!

6. bridgetbordeaux

bridgetbordeaux Companion

Aug 6, 2008

thanks, jhls, I guess I will learn to deal with high schoolers
    "in the trenches" Hopefully, I can do an effective job

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2008

I haven't taught older than grade 8, but here are a few things that I have found:
    -meet them at the door--it sets the tone for the day
    -be sure there is an assignment on their desks or on the board for them to begin to work on as soon as they come into the room
    -walk around the room while you are talking and while they are working--proximity can help to keep things in check
    -find out from the office what the protocol is for students who are defiant or so disruptive you can't keep them in the room and then follow through on this protocol
    -don't threaten anything you won't follow through with
    -have a great picture book or short story in your bag that you could use with the kids in a pinch
    -recognize that high school kids need to be able to move around and speak to each other. Find a couple of class games (search for ice-breakers or some Tribes activities) and use them if the kids are getting restless.

Relax and have fun!