behavior management and co-teaching

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by jteach89, Dec 19, 2017.

1. jteach89

jteach89 Companion

Dec 19, 2017

Hey all could use some advice on how to handle a specific child's behavior in an ict setting. Currently I'm the sped teacher an an ICT grade 2 setting. I have a child who calls out constantly, has a hard time focusing or completing task, and is easily distracted. He's also starting to conduct some behaviors in spite. (That's a whole other topic). My main question is how do you and your co-teacher come to a consensus on how to handle individual child behavior? My co-teacher and I have different philosophies on handling student behavior. And it's hard because when I intervene one way, my co says or does something else. My co teacher insist that there is nothing that can be done to fix the child's behavior and it's something deeper. Yes there is things going on and we would like to seek related services if possible. However, I try to take a more proactive instead of re-active. I know I've been more reactive lately which I try not but this kid really is a handful. So I'm trying to take a more proactive approach and being consistent. The child does not have an IEP so I do not work with him as much, but I'd be willing to work with him. So how do you handle student behavior in an co-teaching setting?

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Dec 19, 2017

I’m the gen ed teacher in a co-teaching environment. My co-teacher and I develop behavior interventions together as necessary, but I defer to her on special situations where a more out of the box idea is needed. I figure she has more experience with what works with behavior IEP kids, so it’s worth a shot to at least try things her way. If it doesn’t work, it can always be adjusted.