Behavior - LOUD

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by NELNaples, Jan 11, 2007.

1. NELNaples

NELNaples Rookie

Jan 11, 2007

I teach in a Title 1 school. Most of our kids are from non-English speaking homes. I have a student who is so loud. He shouts everything. I am like - I am standing right here. All of them have been tested and I don't think it is his hearing. He gets very emotional and easily discouraged. I try to establish cues to signal him he is too loud but where he seems to be seeking attention he can't seem to handle it. He won't look you in the eye, he just hangs his head and pouts. He isn't spoiled. None of our parents have money. What can I try now?

3. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jan 13, 2007

I've had loud children in the past. They really have not learned how to modulate their voice and shouting is such a habit.

Besides the nonverbal signals (which I guess are not working anyway) I would just talk to the child in a very soft voice. Model, model, model.

And give him tons of attention when he is NOT being loud.

Sorry, that's all I have to offer!

4. schooler

schooler New Member

Jan 16, 2007

Try having whisper time. This is where the children have to whisper answers or stories etc. Just a time that they learn to whisper. Talk about why we use whispering and why it is so important to talk in quiet tones and when its appropriate to be loud, like recess. Hope it helps.

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jan 16, 2007

I had a student who was very loud. I came to find out that his mother had psychological problems and never stopped talking. Her family learned that in order to hear each other they had to talk above her.

6. KimberlyBest

KimberlyBest Comrade

Jan 18, 2007

My son is also pretty loud, he was much worse last year. In his case, it's because my father in law lives with us and he is basically deaf. My mother in law is pretty loud because she's always had to shout for him to hear, so my son picked it up. It's taken a lot of work to calm my son's voice, but it still isn't at a "normal" level. You may want to ask the family if there is anything at home that may cause him to talk louder than others.

7. piratemonkey

piratemonkey Rookie

Jan 18, 2007

He may also have a disability talk to the kids parents about it and try to get him tested i wish i was tested early it would have helped a lot in school since none of the teachers seemed to be able to relate what i was going through. Plus it cant hurt to get the student tested early off its better then when he is older.