Behavior I haven't seen before

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Ms.Brandi, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Ms.Brandi

Ms.Brandi Rookie

Sep 7, 2013

This is long, sorry. Ok, I have a little girl in my 3 year old classroom who does something I find odd. To start off, she is 3 and a half but really immature. Can't put on her shoes, feed herself, pull her pants up or down in the bathroom, get soap from the despencer and wash her hands, walk in the line (still a work in progress for the group but the other get the concept just can't quit execute it), can't open a marker or hold it well to color, not even with a closed fist, can't pinch clothes pins, has a binky but not in my class. The list goes on but you get it.
    Now if I wasn't already concerned about all of this, she talks to herself. Well she talks about herself to herself while referring to herself in the third person, I'm going to call her A. For example, when i was trying to show her how to use the bingo dotters, I told her to hold it and dot dot dot. Now here she is going. "Make a flower A, dot dot dot A. Make a flower at school". And she'll go on the whole entire time. She does this for EVERYTHING all day long. She bumped her head on the table and she's saying "I'm sorry A. I'm ok. A is ok. You need to be careful A". While crying because she was hurt.
    I'm reading online and lots of parents say their kids talk to themselves and that its normal. But I've never seen it.
    Two last things, she doesn't talk or have conversations with the other kids, and her mom is completely oblivious and defensive about anything I say to her about anything. Is this something that needs looking at by FDLERS or another program, or is this ok?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 7, 2013

I'd be less concerned about the talking to herself than the delay in acquiring other skills. Document your observations and any modifications that you find are necessary.

4. eternalsaudade

eternalsaudade Companion

Sep 7, 2013

I don't find the self-talk particularly concerning, that is actually fairly developmentally normal. The other children most likely do it, but perhaps you don't witness it as often since they are in a large group and may be busy talking to each other. ;)

That said, the developmental delays are very concerning. Most of those listed are things that a majority of children have mastered by 3.5. You should definitely make note of the delays you notice and bring your concerns to the administration. If you haven't already, I'd suggest getting a checklist of developmental milestones to help make your case. It sounds like this child may be in need of services beyond what you can provide in the classroom.

5. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Sep 7, 2013

Everything you listed seems to be either a fine motor or adaptive skill. Often times, these are delayed in students I see who are coming to school, or into a preschool program, for the first time. It sounds like perhaps mom has been doing a lot of these things for her and she hasn't had to develop independence or age appropriate skills. If you're in a school setting, I would definitely start doing RTI and documenting your interventions. An occupational therapy evaluation after that would probably be useful, if mom would consent. I would start by talking with your administration. Do you administer assessments or evaluations? Something simple like the ages and stages or Brigance screener might be a helpful tool to show mom where her skills are compared to same age peers.

6. Ms.Brandi

Ms.Brandi Rookie

Sep 7, 2013

I have already spoken to the director about it. I haven't administered evaluations yet but will be doing so in the coming week. We always wait until sept. we actually have 2 different ones. One is much more extensive then the other. As far as being new to school, she is new to our school but came from a different preschool. Mom said she didn't like the teacher in the new class. I have a feeling that the teacher may have addressed these issues and that is what caused the switch. So I know that after I do the evaluation and set up the conference she is not going to be happy. Now in the past we have referred to FDLERS. Their waiting list is 6 months though. We r in broward county florida. Does anyone know of any other free screening programs? We have also used boys town. I think they are wonderful but i have to look into whether or not they do this type of screening.

7. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 7, 2013

Document, work behind the scenes and look into where to get a screening. Parent confrences will be coming up at end of quarter...right? If so, work on Mom then. Lay the relationship groundwork now. That is not to say you aren't "working" on the issues....but if you jump right on mom with the child's delays she will be upset, has a history of pulling from programs and has already discussed not liking the other teacher. So....take it slow. When you know where to book the screening and have your documentation ready you will be able to show growth in her child, and discuss developmental norms and classroom norms in growth across the same amount of time. This is a much more professional way to run the talk than to put her on the defensive.

I agree, she is looking like she has either delays or just a general lack of experience with life. Her speaking to herself is typical. It sound strange because she isn't playing with herself she is just parroting what Mom says. Again, pointing to the lack of experience with life.

Go slow...so you can take Mom on this journey with you.

8. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Sep 7, 2013

The self-talk is normal. They listen to how other people (like mom and dad) talk to them, and then copy what they say. Young kids haven't yet figured out the concept of "I" or "me".

I agree with everyone else that, with all of her basic skills lacking, she may have a developmental delay. Document, document, document!

9. Ms.Brandi

Ms.Brandi Rookie

Sep 7, 2013

We do not have quarterly conferences because we do not have quarters. We are open year round. Now at open house this weekend we will have the confrence sign up sheet (which no one ever does) then in December and may we request. We will also request other times if there is an issue. I am planning on giving it a month or so before speaking to her. She's not thrilled with me already because her daughter doesn't eat. Now I will try and feed her (which I feel she's too old for) but she refuses and I don't force it. But I do make her Stay at the table unil some of the other kids finish. But the child just won't eat. She will at snack time but never lunch. Plus her mom isn't happy about the no binky rule. So I know I'm on her bad list. Although (behavior wise) A gets a good report every day so that seems to make mom happy and surprised. So their may be hope yet. Friday she even told me to have a nice weekend and thank you.