Behavior Documentation

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by horned_Frog89, Jan 18, 2016.

1. horned_Frog89

horned_Frog89 Companion

Jan 18, 2016

Hey Guys! This week, we are hitting a reset button at school since. Our new admin has redone schedules, classes, etc. I figured this would be a great time to revisit my own classroom management and I've done some tweaks.

I'm still confused about how to document student behavior issues. The old admin had us do these "Choices" sheets that students signed. That served as our documentation. The forms were okay...they were poorly formatted and kind of wordy, but I liked the idea of the students being able to see the their previous signatures and being able to have documentation almost instantly.

Any as to what you use in a middle school setting? I've read that many just journal behaviors. I though of just making my own forms, but I want to hear what works best for you!

3. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jan 18, 2016

I've never used any form class wide but if I have a particularly difficult student I make a word document and write down the date and time and what happened.

Example: 1-18-15, 9:05am, Johnny was not on task and was talking about something inappropriate. When asked to refocus on his work Johnny said he hated this class and didn't feel like working.

Or whatever. I find that it's a great way to build up evidence for need of further intervention or other methods.

4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 19, 2016

Our Aeries student info portal has an area to log discipline and behavior for particular students. Our admin wants us to use that since all teachers and admin can access and reference it. It too has a lot of weird fields and things that probably keep it from being very usable, but it's what admin wants, so we do it.

If you have a blank slate, might I suggest you do something similar by creating a shared Google Form or Google Spreadsheet for your entire team to log behavior in? That way you can see what happened with a particular student in other classes and can reference that when contacting parents or referring to admin.

5. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

Jan 19, 2016

At my school we have a common document to share behavior logs for the middle level teachers. It just lists the name of the students by class and we list when their behavior infraction was, what category (homework, behavior, or dress code) and who gave the infraction. The infraction a student gets is a detention. I think we will transition to logging behavior on our online portal like Peregrin does.

6. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 23, 2016

I have an excel spreadsheet where I document behaviors and parent contacts. Short little bullets of information. The format doesn't work well with printing but I like how easy it is to manage and keep a log of all students in one class in one place.

7. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Jan 23, 2016

Ours is online. We are suppose to input every time a student gets a consequence but many teachers do not document behavior issues..... Unfortunately it makes people who do look bad.

8. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 24, 2016

We are to do the same. I will give some of your colleagues an out though. Our system is cumbersome. It takes over three minutes to input one incident. If you have one of "those" classes, it could take up your entire planning period every day to document each thing that happened.

9. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jan 24, 2016

This we had to start document behavior on one particular student. He is not only obnoxious in his behavior but goes home and tells lies to make himself look like the victim. After meeting with parent along with admin, came up a behavior binder that goes home everyday and parent has to sign. Basically, we created a form to check off for readiness, working with others, behavior and we write observations. It can be time consuming, parent does not always sign and not always easy to keep up. Regardless, it's a start and more importantly CYA for the teachers.