Behavior/consequences/rewards

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Mrs. Mom, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Jul 10, 2009

I don't want to get into the whole card pulling discussion, but I pull cards in my classroom. I want to do it a little differently this next year. I want to separate behavior consequences and unfinished homework consequences. Does anyone have a plan (card pulling or otherwise) that you feel is very easy and effective for both you and your students? I have several reward systems in place (homeworkopoly, tokens for drawings, etc.)

3. mandabee

mandabee Rookie

Jul 10, 2009

I use a card system too, but only for behavior. at my school the 4th and 5th grade teachers created a study hall duing lunch recess time (we alternate monitoring it). Any student who has missing assignments I send to study hall to finish.

4. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 10, 2009

I have to use the color coded system (school policy). For homework I have a stamp from
    vista print that says "homework missing" that I stamp on the students agenda book. Parents have to sign and return the agenda. If I still do not get the homework the kids sit out of recess and do it until it's done.

5. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Jul 10, 2009

So does this mean the kids don't miss recess on the day it is due if they don't turn it in? Do you allow them one extra day to bring it in? I hate for kids who NEVER bring homework to get off too easy, but hate to punish the kids who slip up once in a great while. Can you explain a little more for me? Thanks!

6. FLeducator

FLeducator Rookie

Jul 10, 2009

I personally do not believe students should sit out of recess for missing homework. I do believe that they should be responsible for their work, but I don’t feel homework is a good way to judge that. I have seen homework turned in with parent’s handwriting, notes from parents giving excuses of why homework was not done, and students who go home and struggle to find food to eat let alone do homework. I use a punch card as an incentive for turning in homework. Instead of being “punished” for not doing it, they are rewarded for it. I know some people say you shouldn’t reward for something that should be done, but I have found the system works for me. Each student has a “Hot Homework Card” that has 14 spots. Each night they do their homework they get a punch. Once the card is full they get to choose from the reward box (pencils, no homework pass, that sort of stuff). I do however have students miss recess (no more than 5 min) to make up class work if they were goofing off or being irresponsible in class. I don’t mean to bring up the whole recess issue, just sharing my policy :)

7. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 10, 2009

I have created a Positive Learning Chart. It is a grid chart that the students place colored dots on. Each dot has their personal number. When homework is completed for the night they place a dot anywhere on the gird. If they complete extra credit they are able to place a dot on the grid. Sometimes if I feel the class has done a great job on a task everyone puts a dot on the chart. If they do something positive in the room (help someone with a problem, give encouraging words to someone, etc) they can place a dot on the chart. If, on the other hand, a negative behavior occurs, the numbered dot is crossed off the chart. On Friday, numbered discs are picked from the Positive Learning Pig (a cookie jar) The discs have the grid coordinates written on them. 5 students win each week. Winners get to choose 1 of 5 Postive Learning options...sugar free ice cream, free book pick, no homework pass, no seatwork pass, sit in teacher's chair pass. This has been so successful in my room. The students couldn't wait for Friday afternoons to roll around. My system puts the student in control of his positive learning. The more dots on the chart the more chances of winning a positive learning incentive.

8. mjennings

mjennings Companion

Jul 10, 2009

I have my behavior chart that is very fluid...if that makes sense. On the board I have painted a space that starts

-4 -3 -2 -1 0 +1 +2 +3 +4 +5
    call -10 -5 warning good great wow! fanstatic!super!
    home min min

hope this makes sense...each day the kids "fish" start on 0 throughout the day they move their "fish". If they move their fish neg. then they have to work harder to move their fish up...hitting, cursing, etc. keep them on the negative automatically....I feel this behavior plan allows those kids who never get noticed for always being good a chance to get recognized.

In the morning wherever their fish landed on is the number of prize tickets they get, they save these tickets to purchase items from the treasure box.

If the kids are having a rough week then I tell them I am spicing things u...I will tell them that we are doubling the tickets...if they land on +4 they get +8 if they land on -4 then they owe me 8 tickets!

9. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 10, 2009

I also don't believe children -- especially young children -- should miss recess because of missing homework. Developmentally, they need this time to run around. In many states, such as mine, it is a violation of state law to take recess away as a punishment (for anything other than misbehaving at recess.) Many teachers violate this law in our state every day.

FL said it all -- you don't know what is going on at home (or what isn't going on!)

I used to team teach with a teacher who kept students out from recess -- and my question to her is the same one I'm going to pose to you. If taking recess away worked, would you have to do it more than once or twice for any given student? If it really worked, then you wouldn't have habitual offenders. THe truth is quite simply that if you are having habitual offenders, the punishment isn't acheiving the desired results.

Now persnally, I do weekly homework, and I've never had more than 1 child in any month not have homework. Nine times out of ten I get in on Monday if they forget -- I just send a note home and an extra copy of it (in case they lost it) and say I need it on Monday. IF it doesn't come back on Monday, I track the parent down with a friendly reminder that if there was a family emergency,all they need to do is send in a note to be excused -- and then I get in to why the work is missing. I just keep it pleasant. I did have one boy whose home life was just too chaotic and he always lost all of his homework (family living in a car, on friend's couches, etc.. never in the same place 2 nights in a row..) but I just got the guidance counselor to voluntteer to work with him during his lunch time. He'd eat (took about 5 minutes, because was always hungry so he gulped it down) and then they'd work on it together. It really helped. He also got in the habit of doing it while waiting in the office for pick up (Mom ws always late -- and he couldn't ride the bus because he lived someplace different all the time.)

I also make a big deal out of the students who turn in their work -- lots of positive reinforcement to those who do it -- and everyone else seems to fall in line.

I applaud you for wanting to seperate behavior issues and homework noncompliance -- because they are two very different issues.

On my consequence chart, the first misbehavior receives a verbal warning or teacher redicrection. The second receives a behavior note home (it must be signed and returend the next morning, or I call home -- and the child is in twice as much trouble for not giving the note to the parent.) The note usually does the trick.

I also call parents a lot. It is time consuming, but it takes care of many things right away.

10. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 11, 2009

That is why I give them the benefit of a doubt and an extra day. Everyone has a bad day and forgets something once in awhile. Kids who are frequent offenders don't get this benefit and get to call home and explain to thier parents why they earned thier way out of recess. Unfortunately recess is the only leaverage we have in my school so it is the only thing I can take away.

I have used homeworkopoly and found it took up a lot of time to have kids take thier turns. So I want to find a quicker game this year.

This year I am planning on implementing a reward system bingo. On really good stuff there is a bingo chart where kids write thier names on the grid. When kids turn in thier homework they will get to fill in a space. They will also get a spot for earning an A on a quiz, or just for showing improvement/effort. Once a week I will choose 5 random coordinates for a prize. My prizes are usually pencils, erasers, stickers and gel pens.

11. FLeducator

FLeducator Rookie

Jul 11, 2009

This sounds great! I love the positive feedback!

12. DaMaddHatter

DaMaddHatter Rookie

Jul 12, 2009

Don't want to thread-hijack, but I really want to respond to a few thoughts on here (to those who ignored the OP's request not to get into punishment discussion). I will start a new thread!

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2009

I have a 'Missing HW' book- Kids who are missing any hw list their name, date and what the missing assignment was in the book. If they bring it the next day, I let them cross off their name in the book. I check the book about once a week for 'repeat offenders'. When a child has 4 missing HWs listed in the book, I send a note home listing the missing assignments and dates and request that parents discuss responsibility and preparedness for school with their child. Parents are asked to sign the note and return it to school the next day...it helps.

14. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2009

I'm not going to comment on the other thread about this topic except to say that FLeducator, I did not read anything untoward in your post. What I love is this plan you have. I send learning centers home instead of regular homework and previous years I have rewarded on Friday the children who consistently bring back homework. I don't punish the others. Could you give me a little more detail about your Homework Card? I think this plan will help teach my students responsibility in a fun way. Plus, I've been hunting for additional ways to reward with the treasure chest because I have parents who regularly donate items.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2009

There was nothing negative in any responses here, just advice from seasoned experienced teachers...the other thread to which you refer, beckysuek, is gone...I think it's important to note that we can offer various points of view, different approaches- when someone asks for ideas isn't it nice to get a range of ideas and strategies and then pick what works best for you?

16. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Jul 12, 2009

Separate consequences for HW & Behavior...

I only sit students out at recess for intentionally hurting others at recess. For disruptions during class, I give students warnings for a 1st offense, 2nd offense they put their name on the board, 3rd offense is a check and they sit in time out.

When in time-out they do the exact same activities as everyone else, just isolated. Usually I have them write a letter to their parents explaining why they were sent to Time Out. They show it to me and I sign it and expect it returned the next day. I also email the parents to let them know a note is coming home (if I remember to).

If they were still awful after time-out they had to run extra laps around the track at recess. And yes I know it's bad that I'm punishing them with exercise...but I couldn't think of a better way to have them not play for the first 5-10 minutes of recess and still be active.

I could not keep up with the Pull-A-Card system (putting everyone back on green each day, checking before recess to see who owed my laps, etc.) It was easier to look on the board's list of names...

This year for HW (didn't really have a system last year) I will post a class checklist on the wall and those who get 20 checks (1 each day for completed hw) will earn a visit to the HW Box (trying to think of an alliterative name like "Habitual Homeworkers...please offer suggestions!). The HW box will include No HW Passes and maybe prizes related to HW like mechanical/cutesy pencils, stamps for spelling words, flash cards, mini-journals...

Any ideas on how to perfect this system, please share! Going into my 4th year so not exactly "seasoned" here :blush:

17. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Jul 12, 2009

Jennings- I love that idea!

Would it work for younger grades? They don't understand negative numbers, but is there a way it could work for a kindergarten class room?

18. FLeducator

FLeducator Rookie

Jul 12, 2009

beckysuek,

When the kids arrive in the morning, it is part of their routine to put their homework on the corner of their desk with their punch card on it. While they are working on morning work, I walk around and quick glance at their homework. If it is completed to my standards, I put a punch in the card. Depending on the homework, I either collect it to correct or we correct it together. Once the card is full they get to go to the treasure box, then I give them a new card. Some of them are so proud when they fill their card and can't wait to show it to their parents. You can find the cards at teacher stores, online, or create your own and print them on card stock. I can't post links yet, but you can go to any of these sites and search for incentive punch cards.

reallygoodstuff
    forteachersonly

Hope that was helpful :)

19. FLeducator

FLeducator Rookie

Jul 12, 2009

Jennings, if you don't mind me adding to your great idea, I have an idea of what futureteach could do for kindergarten.

How about using faces instead of numbers. For 0 use a straight line for the mouth. Then the next one could be a small grin, then a full smile, and last a super excited smile. Do the same for the negative side, but of course make them sad faces. If you are doing a theme the little faces could match your theme too.

:)

20. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2009

This is such a wonderful idea and I would like to try something like this in my class. I do believe that homework and classroom behavior are two separate issues.

21. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 12, 2009

I use the card system too (like the op, I have to at my school), but I have two. One is for conduct and one is for responsibility. The responsibility is for signing planners (required each night for the whole school population), getting homework turned in, bringing back notes, etc. We have both conduct and responsibility on the report card. The kids write conduct and responsibility on their planners and I mark each one with my paint marker (actually it is more like the bingo markers).

I actually don't display the card system in class, but just record the marks on a spreadsheet. I have one for conduct and one for responsibility each week. The kids have to sign the mark book and write why they received the mark. I have a number code for each kind of mark so it doesn't take so long.

22. mjennings

mjennings Companion

Jul 12, 2009

I think it could work with Kindergarten...I teach 1st grade and my kids get it. I also have my class number line posted on the wall that goes to negative ten...I just explain it that they are taking a stepbackwards rather than moving up.....

23. mrsleapfrog

mrsleapfrog Companion

Jul 12, 2009

The Hot Homework punch card is a wonderful idea. I have been trying to think of something to reward students who complete their homework and I am definitely going to try this!

24. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jul 12, 2009

I would love to do either the bingo game idea or the card punching. Which do you think would be good for 5th grade? We switch classes but this could only be for my homeroom for the classes they have me for (Science, Reading, Religion, Spelling)

25. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Jul 12, 2009

Thanks! I will have to try that!

26. FootballGal

FootballGal Companion

Jul 12, 2009

this year for homework, I made homework cards on vista print. I used the oversized postcards and on the back there are the numbers 1-100. Each day they do all their homework, they get a stamp. 10 stamps will get them a prize from the treasure box. When they fill up their whole card, they'll get the usual prize plus something extra special. (don't know what yet) I am excited to try this this year. I used to punish those who didn't do their homework, but this year I would like to reward those who actually do their homework. I would post a picture but don't know how. lol

27. DaMaddHatter

DaMaddHatter Rookie

Jul 12, 2009

This seems like a bit of a contradiction, doesn't it? How can we get a range of ideas and strategies if some of the ideas and strategies are censored?

28. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Jul 12, 2009

Im confused... How are they censored? I didn't read the other thread so I don't know why it is gone, but I think we shared our ideas and strategies. Am I wrong?

29. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jul 13, 2009

i just made a template of "Homework Superstar Cards". send me a PM with your email if you want the pdf!

30. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 14, 2009

I am a huge Baseball fan so my behavior chart is themed. Every student starts their day "At bat", from here they decide how to react to what gets thrown at them, so to speak. They can get the obvious strikes 1-3, but they can also get a base hit or even a home run. Some kids will never move from at bat, others will strive to get the rewards for the higher levels.