Behavior Clip Chart

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by ll1301, Oct 25, 2013.

1. ll1301

ll1301 Rookie

Oct 25, 2013

I am a first year teacher in first grade. I use a clip chart for behavior. All the students start out on Green each day. They can move down to yellow, orange, and red. They can also move up to Purple, and Pink if their behavior is Outstanding. I have only had 3 students make it to pink in the 9 weeks we have been in school, and I make sure to make it a BIG deal when they move to pink. I also make sure they know they have to EARN it to get to pink. Anyway, I have a student who never gets her color changed for poor behavior, but she does talk during lessons sometimes. She always gets on green. I had a parent conference and I let her mom know that she is doing great in class, had good grades, and always does her work. Mom asked me why she never comes home on Pink, and why she always gets green if she's doing "so great" in class. I told her she does talk sometimes, and I have only moved a few students to pink all year. We left it at that, but now EVERYDAY at the end of the day when I am signing their folders for the color they earned, she always says "My mom really wants me to be on pink." It's a weird position to be in...because she is a very good student, she does her work, but it bothers me that she always says "My MOM wants me to get pink." How do I handle this? I almost feel like since her mom mentioned it in our conference that I feel I have to put her on Pink otherwise she will think I am being unfair. Advice?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 25, 2013

Personally, this is one of the reasons I dislike clip charts. The visible, public nature of such system advertises to everyone of 'who is naughty and who is nice'. You should NOT put the kid on pink because mom wants it. The kid should earn it, but I'm not seeing a little talking as a big deal anyway.

4. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Oct 25, 2013

We all use the clip chart at my school - it's a schoolwide behavior program. I have had minor issues with parents EXPECTING their student to get on the highest color, but I make sure I explain to them that green is a really good day, and the color above means the student had an OUTSTANDING day, which of course can't happen for everyone every day! Don't move her because mom is asking for it. She needs to be on an even playing field with everyone else. One thing I might do is talk with the student, and with mom if she asks again, and give examples of HOW you could move to pink. Sometimes the kids really need a tangible example. Actually, you could give the whole class some examples - not saying "Oh, Sally did this and got to move to pink" - but maybe having the class brainstorm ways they could move. Turn this into a learning opportunity. ;)

5. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Oct 27, 2013

We're required to do the clip or card chart at my school too due to a school wide intiative. The way I do it is everyone starts out on green (which is ''good''). If you get your color moved down to yellow or red, but improve your behavior (not long after, not acting up the whole day then ''being good'' 3 minutes before dismissal) you're able to move it back up to green and that's the absolute highest you can go. If you didn't get your color moved at all that day and/or I didn't have to continually redirect your behavior, then you get to go home to star (which is our highest color).

Or if I see a child doing a super outstanding job (ie: when i had a visitor in my room last week and was speaking w/them at the door, my class got really loud and silly, but 4 children remained quiet. Those 4 got to move up to star while everyone else lost 5 minutes of recess)

I've been doing it that way for 5 years and never received a complaint except for one mom who thought green meant bad.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 27, 2013

How many students have you had move down to orange and red? The number of students moving down should be less than your students moving up. Really catching the positives is important.

7. mcf5157

mcf5157 Rookie

Oct 27, 2013

You can always create an adjacent display outlining what behaviors increase your chance to get to pink. This will act as a prompt for her, as well as all of the students.

For example:

"Ways to Earn Pink:

1. Be truthful and trustworthy to everyone at school.
    2. Do your personal best on all school work.
    3. Help a friend who is confused.
    4. Be a great listener and ask questions if needed.
    5. Be a positive member of the classroom community."

And so on...

8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 28, 2013

I like that is a great idea. I explain to the parents and my students that moving up is more than just doing what you are supposed to do. A child in my class moves up when he or she goes above and beyond (and I define what ¨above and beyond¨ is).