behavior charts

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Backroads, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jun 14, 2015

I'm consider giving mine up for next year for a few reasons including I hate dealing with them.

Any good reasons to keep up with it? Any good alternative behavior management systems?

I like having clear rules and I like keeping consequences fair and orderly, I'm just sick of having the stupid chart and parents obsessing over what color Sally was on.

3. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

Jun 14, 2015

I know some teachers who do class mojo instead of charts.

4. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 14, 2015

I assign logical consequences as needed. I do not use a behavior chart because clipping down is not a consequence.

5. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jun 14, 2015

what would you consider logical consequences for a student who blurts out in class?

6. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 14, 2015

Blurting is either something a child really doesn't understand they are doing, attention seeking, or an accident. It really depends on the situation. In the moment, typically a look from me is all it takes. For a chronic blurted, that's when I go towards teaching them not to do it. An easy way is to give them a certain number of counters. Every time they blurt, take a counter away. If they still have counters left at the end of whatever time frame you set, they earn a sticker. So many stickers and they earn a reward such as sitting in a special chair, 10 minutes computer time, etc.

7. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jun 14, 2015

Ooh! I like that idea!

8. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jun 14, 2015

Thank you

9. Shayla182

Shayla182 New Member

Jun 15, 2015

I was just thinking the same thing about ditching my behavior chart too. It is more trouble and the kids that are always pushing the bar end up on yellow or red every day with no solutions. They deal with the consequences and nothing gets better.

10. Shayla182

Shayla182 New Member

Jun 15, 2015

Great idea!

11. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Jun 15, 2015

Thanks for posting this. I was dreading the thought of behavior charts as well...

12. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jun 15, 2015

I still want to have specific consequences posted in addition to logical responses as I don't want to fall into the trap of letting some kids slide.

I have no memory of having behavior charts growing up in the 90s.

13. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Jun 16, 2015

Agdamity, could you elaborate on how you assign logical consequences? I'd love to get more ideas.

14. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 16, 2015

So much of it depends on the child and situation. If someone is having difficulty staying on task during a group activity, they are removed from the group and complete the activity on their own. If someone won't stop talking in their seated table group, I move their desk slightly away from the group. We take class restroom breaks, if you can't behave with the rest of the group in the bathroom, you go last by yourself.

Really taking the time to set expectations and practice desired behaviors at the start of the year goes a long way. I have one rule: Make smart choices. We spend a lot of time the first two weeks going over expectations, routines, procedures.

For chronic or severe issues, I call home. I don't call home every time Susy talked too much. I save those phone calls for when I truly need parental help. I also write very few office referrals--one or two a year.

15. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jun 16, 2015

I'd add a teacher ought to live the expectation all the students are completely capable of following the rules. This let's the students know where they stand.

16. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Jun 17, 2015

Great advice about the setting firm and clear expectations from the beginning. I am going to be practicing a lot the first two weeks!

17. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Jun 17, 2015

At my school we use a school wide chart that goes home every day and has to be turned in to administration every 6 weeks. We don't use colors, we use codes to say how they were misbehaving. For example:

T- Talking (too much)
    AL- Acceptable Language (not using)
    RA-Respecting Authority (not)
    FD- Following Directions (not)
    SC- Self Control (not using)
    WPO-Working and Playing with Others (not)

It's definitely time consuming but most of my students behave so I can quickly give them a fun stamp for the day. I really like having the chart for my 3 or 4 problem students and parents in denial. It really helps to be able to pull it out and say "Well I've sent this home everyday informing you of the behavior" If you work in a school with discipline problems I would definitely use it because you are going to need some kind of documentation. Maybe not for every student, but at least those who need some behavior intervention.