Behavior Charts

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by woobie5, Jun 22, 2010.

1. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

Jun 22, 2010

HOw many of you do Behavior Charts? OR .... how many ofy ou DON'T do behavior charts? I would love to hear thoughts and examples from you all!!

3. skerns

skerns Companion

Jun 22, 2010

WE use them like this:

Each child has 3 "blessing bucks" (little dollars) on their desk. If they break a class rule after the first warning, they lose a buck. If they lose a buck that day they do not get a sticker on the mini incentive chart (also on their desk). If they keep all their bucks that day, they get a sticker on the chart. Every time a line is filled, they get to go to the small prize box, (little items such as sticks of gum, stickers, army men, tiny rings, etc.) When they fill their chart completely, they get to go to the large prize box ($1 items).

I like this system because each child is working toward a goal, some reach it quicker than others, but they all do get to go to the prize box. They receive a new chart each time the old one is filled. The bucks and the charts are attached to their desks with velcro dots.

I know many do not use behavior charts, but we have had great success with them and parents have even adopted them for the summer, :)

4. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

Jun 22, 2010

Too much time in my opinion.

Just let them know the type of behavior you expect, then enforce it.

Takes out the middle man.

5. kinderokSA

kinderokSA Rookie

Jun 22, 2010

Well we use the traffic light. Everyone starts on green. Break a class rule (beginning of year) - gets a warning, talks about correct choice. Yellow - slow down and think about GOOD CHOICES. Time out - recess/centers. Red - no centers and no recess. If it's really bad - like purposefully hitting or smething tht is really bad they move directly to red. And they understand this. I also model good choices and bad choices. I don't have my students move pegs back for good behavior. (spme people do - i believe there is a consequence for incorrect choices.) Well then i have a sticker calendar chart that parents initial each day. I have a goal of Stickers students need to get a month. I allow them one bad day a week - so 20 days of school in a month - goal of stickers is 16 stickers. If on yellow = 1/2 pt for sticker, red = no sticker/no pt and note on calendar for parents to see behavior. By January my students are doing very well with behavior and they don't get on RED as much. If they exceed the goal they get a candy and pick in treasure box. If they get to the goal they get in treasure box - and we celebrate with th class for their good behavior.

I HOPE THIS MAKES SENSE.

:D

6. prissy1

prissy1 Rookie

Jun 22, 2010

I also do the stop light. When a child gets to red they take home a note that says I went to red today. I write what happened (second semester they write it) and the parent must sign it and return it.

I was thinking of changing it up this year. Instead of everyone starting on green, I might have the ones that have extraordinarily good behavior go to green and take home a I went to green note with an explanation of their great behavior. I want to incorporate an easy way to let parents know what good jobs their kids do without having to waste time writing daily notes to ALL parents. I don't have time for that.

7. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

Jun 22, 2010

Reading these behavior chart posts, I can't help but remember when I was in junior high.

We had "conduct cards," and in them were numbers 1-10 for the most frequent infractions.

I was "one of those kids," and I remember my teacher had to pencil in 11-31 (or somewhere around there) for all my above and beyond infractions during the day-to-day.

I remember one that she penciled in was "Doing a cartwheel in front of the class."

Good times.

8. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 22, 2010

I used to, but I don't anymore. I just have a reward system where they can earn "Superstars" for a day of outstanding behavior-I have cut-outs with their names on them and simply give them one if they have earned it writing on it what they did -"Sally helped one of her friends today". They can eat lunch with me Fridays or take home the class mascot, etc.

I never like the idea of the whole class seeing who was on what color and some kids could just never find their way back to green or get color changes every day-it didn't really change their behavior goals. It would also make me crazy when the kids would go up to another's parents and say "Johnny got a color change today". I just really like a reward system better-I don't have a problem if they say "Johnny got a superstar today".

9. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jun 23, 2010

Great idea KinderCowgirl. I feel the same way. I remember our first party of the year a parent came up to me and asked, "Okay - which one is Billy Bob? My daughter said he always moves his clip. Could you not sit her next to him?"

10. love+logicworks

love+logicworks New Member

Jun 24, 2010

No behavior chart here. I find them too time-consuming and the same kids are moving their clips (or not) and getting stickers (or not).

I agree with Unbeknownst. By using your words effectively, you don't need a system.

Sometimes a chart or system has the opposite effect. If you imply that you are ready for their mis-behavior, they almost want to see what happens when they get to the red zone.

Just assume that they will always make the right choices. Let them know you trust them. They'll mess up occasionally, but you can get them back on track.

11. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jun 24, 2010

I like that idea Kindercowgirl. I am going to try it that way next year. Thanks!

12. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jun 24, 2010

Good point!

13. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 24, 2010

I feel the same way...Also, if kids were on red an hour into the school day, then what?

This past year I did "behavior folders." Each child had his/her own folder. The inside contained a key of expected behaviors with symbols, and a calendar. When a child wasn't following an expected behavior, they wrote the corresponding symbol on the calendar. Each symbol meant 5 minutes of free time lost.

I felt like this system worked well, but I don't like how the consequence wasn't always natural. Then again, I think kindergartners need that concrete "if I do this, this will happen" instead of "What will happen if I do this...?"

I'm still unsure about what I'm going to do for the upcoming school year.

14. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Jun 26, 2010

15. kinderokSA

kinderokSA Rookie

Jun 27, 2010

roseteacher12 - Started reading this eBook. It sounds awesome thus far and I to like the concept of up and down.

Is Behavior Bingo in the book or where can i find that???

16. Kteacher07

Kteacher07 Rookie

Jul 17, 2010

I do not use charts for everyone.
    I use the green, yellow, red, card system. For my own management, i break the day up like this:
    Before snack (up to 10ish)
    Before Lunch (up to 12ish)
    After Related Arts (up to 2ish)

If a child gets on a yellow, it is a warning to slow down and fix the behavior. If a child gets to red, the consequence might be loss of some playtime which would take place during the playtime that follows snack, or lunch, or related arts. The card resets to green after snack, lunch, or RA. That way, one red card in the a.m. wouldn't ruin the day. If there are multiple reds frequently I may start a behavior plan with that particular child.
    I have used this system for 4 years and found it to be very successful.

As a side, I reward good behavior by doing a weekly raffle (your name goes in each day when you don't get on red). The more green days the more chances. I choose 5 names on Friday and they get to choose a privilege such as first choice at play centers, sit with anyone at lunch, or bring a stuffed animal to school. Then the raffle resets each Monday.

17. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Jul 17, 2010

I really like this "reset" system! I teach 2nd and am now trying to figure out how to implement this into my plan. I do yellow, red, green, and purple cards. Yellow & red are poor choices, Green is good, Purple means they really impressed me that day.

Hmmm maybe after lunch they start over. At the end of the day I give 1 stamp (on their 20-stamp chart) if they were on green and 2 stamps if they made it to purple card. 0 stamps if they got yellow or red.

Maybe they could earn double that # by the end of the day? I could give the stamps they earned after lunch (while they pack up, before recess) then put everyone back on green. Then at the end of the day I could do it again, which means they could earn up to 4 stamps per day. This means they could earn Treasure Box (filling up all 20 stamps on stamp chart) in 1 week versus 2. I think they will like being able to get Treasure Box faster!

If anyone sees any problems with this, tell me now!

18. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Jul 17, 2010

Also, I don't allow my kids to move back to green for correcting their behavior. Once they get to yellow, they're stuck there. But at least this year it will be for half the day and then they can get a new start. I feel really good about this, like maybe it will change their behavior. I guess if I was already on red at 10:00am, I wouldn't care that much about being good again....I'd still have it written in my behavior chart that I got on red that day! Thanks KTeacher!

19. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Jul 17, 2010

I'm just wondering if you use behavior charts/rewards, etc...what happens the next year. Does that teacher find it more difficult or easier (or not worth mentioning)?

Just curious.

20. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jul 17, 2010

I did behavior charts last year and it sure did take a lot of time putting stickers or stamps on them! Many students "lost" them, parents forgot to sign or they didn't understand and signed the entire month before it was over!

I like how specific it is so this year I'm going to have them for all the kids but keep them in my own binder. Then when parent conferences roll around I can give them a summary of their behaviors and any patterns. Of course, I will contact them before conferences for serious issues....

21. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Jul 18, 2010

I've tried several different systems. One year the kids were so great we hardly used the chart. Last year was nuts, a couple of the kids about wore the thing out. But it DID affect behavior for those who knew their parents would find out they got to red.

Still, I am ready to try something different. Since I keep my own record, I'm not convinced having a public chart for kids to see is necessary.

I would love to hear more about "being effective with your words." :)

Oh, and I just found out today I might possibly be moved to 2nd or 3rd this year!!!!! :O In which case, I have to rethink everything!!

22. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 26, 2010

This year I am implementing "Caught being good" cards. I had a bunch of business cards printed up that basically say: Today, Mrs. K caught me being good and I got a prize from the class prize jar!"
    There is a space for me to write out specifics of their good behavior. I find that students will start trying more often to be on their best behavior if they go two or three days (or more) without getting a prize.
    We implement what consequences will be for breaking classroom rules at the beginning of the year, so apart from not getting mouse cards (the good cards have a mouse picture) they may also lose recess or play center time, etc. as consequences. I think, overall, that positive reinforcement goes a long way in K student behavior.

23. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 27, 2010

As a teacher, I always have one kid who will try their best to be good no matter how spirited he felt that day ~ but once they got in trouble it just went all downhill from there.

Also, I often found that when I had a system (which was difficult to keep up with on really busy days), the parents used it too much to their advantage and then it became harder in the classroom. I am all for parent involvement when it comes to behavior, but little Johnny shouldn't be punished in school ( by not recieving his sticker/prize) and then again be punished at home. It became a battle and I just felt bad. Now remember, I teach 3's (and often 4's by mid year) and it just wasn't worth it.

Being how your Kinder, how does the rest of your team do it in their classroom? Is there a school wide "ranking" system or do you each do your own thing?