Behavior Chart ideas

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by brandi0718, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Daisha

Daisha Companion

Jul 9, 2008

Yes, Thank You! That's Awesome!:)

2. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Jul 9, 2008

I drew large circles on poster board and I used markers to put the face in the circle. I hung the large faces on the back of my door so that the kids could always see what color they were on. I put their clothespins around the circle--they started out on green each day so all of the clothespins were clipped on the green circle each morning.

3. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Jul 11, 2008

SO I THINK I HAVE FINALLY DECIDED ON A BEHAVIOR CHART...I AM JUST NOT SURE HOW IT WILL WORK- MY CLASSROOM THEME IS POLKA DOTS---SO THE TITLE OF MY BEHAVIOR CHART WILL BE "GET SPOTTED WITH GOOD BEHAVIOR" AND EACH STUDENT WILL HAVE THEIR NAME PLACED ON A SMALL (NOT TOO SMALL) CIRCLE CUT OUT AND THEY WILL HAVE 4-5 DIFFERENT COLORED DOTS ON THEIR CIRCLE...THE DOTS WILL BE STUCK TO THEIR CIRCLE WITH VELCRO....INSTEAD OF MOVING CLIPS WE WILL PULL THEIR COLORED DOTS FOR UNWANTED BEHAVIOR AND PUT THEM INTO ENVELOPES AS THEY ARE PULLED. DOES THIS MAKE ANY SENSE AT ALL? I DONT WANT TO DO SOMETHING THAT DOESNT MAKE SENSE!

4. mel-bel

mel-bel Rookie

Jul 12, 2008

New School, New Behavior Chart

Talked to my principal and all the other 1st grade teachers at my new school use a 5 color train chart (Stay on Track) regardless of their theme. So I think I'll change my behavior chart for continuity. Do you think I can still stamp their paper with the happy face if they are on the top 3 colors and write the number of the rule they broke if they are on the bottom 2 colors? Or should I just have them color their own square at the end of each day?

5. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle Rookie

Aug 4, 2008

WonderW05 I like your 10 ticket idea. I have 3 colors: green (happy face), yellow (straight line face), and red (Sad face). My board was magnetic last year so I used star shaped name tags with magnets. In the past I used clothes pins on a poster. I do not allow students to move back. If their behavior warranted their clip or magnet to be moved then they earned that color. If it is easy to move back then the consequence isn't being reinforced. I've taught for 17 years and the years I did allow the move back I had many more behavior issues. They have 1 or 2 verbal warnings before they get moved and that is sufficient for me. Try the not moving back and be firm. You'll be glad you did!

6. Teachingin08

Teachingin08 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008

I have a jungle theme in my room. I hung a rope from the ceiling and covered it in garland so that it looks like a vine. Then I used pipe cleaners to attach laminated signs for the different levels. They all begin on Ready to Learn (Green). They can move up to Climbing the Vine (Blue) or King of the Jungle (Purple). They can move down to Been Monkeying Around (Orange), Uh-Oh (Yellow), or Think About It (Red). The ones that they move down to have frown faces in the bottom right corner and consequences in the bottom left corner. The ones they move up to are decorated with encouraging stickers and have smiles in the bottom right corner.

7. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Aug 13, 2008

8. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Aug 14, 2008

These are great ideas! I am not that creative.

My plan:

Buy stop light poster from teacher store $1.99
    Laminate- free at school
    Buy clothes pins from dollar store $1.00 :)
    Write names on clothes pins

Kids move clips from Green to yellow to red
    If they get to yellow and turn behavior around they can earn their way back to green. Once red, note or phone call home depending on severity

Lemon

9. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 14, 2008

Have you thought about the power teaching method? The tally marks for the time you get, and time the teacher gets? I think that's how it works. It seems so simple and is just a tally mark on a piece of paper at the front of the room.