Behavior Chart ideas

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by brandi0718, Jun 8, 2008.

1. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Jun 8, 2008

Last year for my behavior chart I had a smiley face, striaght face, and sad face and we moved clips but this coming up year I would like to do something a little different and I want to have atleast 4 different steps....maybe even 5???----can anyone think of anything that would be really cute for moving clips other than the faces?? Thanks! :)

3. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

4. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Jun 9, 2008

I made a chart for last year with colors instead of faces. Purple was on top and said "Having a great day!" Next was green "Having a good day" Then yellow "Having an o.k. day" and red at the bottom "Having a bad day" They all start on green in the morning and can move up or down.

5. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Jun 9, 2008

That is a really good idea...I never thought of putting them in the middle and moving them up or down. If they moved down did you ever give them an opportunity to move back up? This is one thing I have been debating over this summer...I kind of want to let them have 1 opportunity to move back up.

6. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Jun 9, 2008

I do let them move back up since I hate for the kid who had a great day get a behavior note sent home because he/she had to move their clothespin early because he/she didn't do homework. (I tried just sending notes home because a kid didn't do homework but it doesn't help--I had to start making them move their clothespins because then they have silent lunch. They hate that.)

7. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Jun 9, 2008

i really didnt punish for no homework...i would reward occassionally---they never knew when. I teach at a school where a lot of parents are not involved- I know this is probably at most schools, but I hated to punish them for something they couldnt help. What were your consequences for moving clips?

8. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 9, 2008

I second that! It's so simple, but it never occured to me to allow kids to go up OR down.

I know I'll be using a clothespin system, since I don't want to deal with missing, ripped, or misplaced cards. I like the modified stoplight (meaning more than three colors) idea. Since I thik I'll be doing a jungle/forest/garden theme, maybe I can have my boyfriend draw me an exotic-looking orchid (he's great at that stuff), and then I can photocopy it and color them in with colored pencils or something. I think I want a total of four levels. I also need to decide how I'll document their behavior, and if I will translate all this info into a grade of some sort.

So much to think about! :eek:

9. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Jun 9, 2008

Another first grade teacher at my school uses clothes pins but instead of faces she has like a rainbow, cloud, rain drop, then lightning bolt...it is really cute..i was kind of thinking about just having different colors and using shapes...like a pink rectangle, yellow circle, blue triangle, purple circle...i dont know if i will do it or not but it is the only idea i have come up with.

Teachnrox---thanks so much for the picture!

10. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Jun 9, 2008

1st time--warning
    2nd time--move to yellow--silent lunch or snack
    3rd time--move to red--note home (by the 2nd semester I added no snack to this one)

If they move up to purple they get a "happy note"

I moved their pin for homework this year because I had some who would do it but not turn it in. Or the ones who did it but would say "my mommy forgot to put it in my backpack" even though I preached from day one that homework is their responsibility. It was more motivation to actually turn it in.

11. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Jun 9, 2008

I also let them move back. Usually it works and they end up changing their behaviors. If they are on green at the end of the day they get a green ticket to put in the ticket box. This year I might change it a bit though. If they get 10 tickets they get a pencil or prize from the box. I give green tickets out throughout the day, so ten is easy to obtain fairly fast.

12. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Jun 9, 2008

Made changes from my last thread~~long

I had a sports theme last school year. My behavior plan was around baseball. It was a clip moving system. Students start in the middle of the long chart.

Homerun
    Triple Play
    Double Play
    Dugout - Ready to Learn (they started here)
    Strike One - Warning - 2minutes of recess taken
    Strike Two - Time out- 5 min. recess taken
    Strike three- Note/Phone home- 10 min. recess gone
    Benched- Note/Phone home, loss of privedge (ie. computer lab, fun activity)- 15min. recess gone

Students could move up and down all day. If they got to homerun they earned a piece of candy. At the end of the day if they were on 'dugout' or above then I put a sticker on their sticker chart. When their sticker chart was full, they earned a Friday lunch date with me and other students had a full sticker chart. It worked well. This year I want to have students complete a 'release form' or reflection if they get to strike two or below. I sent home a conduct sheet every day with where the kids were.

Students who clipped down anytime during the day, could work double hard to clip up! They really did try. I think the kids finally understood that just because your morning was challenging, doesn't mean that your afternoon has to be, it was all about choices- good attitude or bad one the choice was yours.

Towards the end of the year, at the end of the day. If I caught doing something awesome like reading a book when done packing up, or using good manners, something of that nature. I would have students start the following day on 'Double Play' and sometimes they would start on Homerun...it was a good way to shake things up!

When I had a sub (One I requested and who knew my expectations), the kids told the substitute that I was disappointed with their choices with the last sub. As a class, they asked the sub that if they worked really hard if she could clip them up to Homerun, I would be soooo happy! The kids did make it to homerun, the entire class! She reassured me that they indeed had to work very hard for that. So, did my neighbor teachers. Funny thing though, I only give one piece of candy for Homerun behavior, however, someone told her I gave two! :rofl: Needless to say my candy jar was down to slim pickings!

13. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Jun 10, 2008

this is a very very cute idea!

14. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Jun 10, 2008

Now I have a question for you Brandi0718 or anyone else out there... I did like this however, there was one thing I want to change and need some help with this...The behavior chart I sent home pretty much just had the different levels, with the consequences listed at the bottom. I would quickly check where they were at the end of the day. I had a lot of children who couldn't remember what they got the strikes for and then parents would ask me, some times I would remember and sometimes not. So, any ideas on how to make a key or something that lets the teacher know what the child did?? I am glad parents would ask, they would help with things at home, I want this, I just want to alleviate the having to ask me and leaving me stumped :huh:

15. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Jun 10, 2008

I wondered this same thing. I actually had a kid go home and make up a crazy story of something that never happened. I could only talk to her about all of his behavior problems he had a lot throughout the year. I am not sure of a good way to keep up with the problems they had during the day. I think it is a very good idea to do that, but the kids in my class that were having bad behavior did lots of stuff throughout the day. I don't think that I could actually write down everything some of them did. I know this probably sounds crazy because it is only 1st grade. Do you have an assistant?

16. acorbett

acorbett Rookie

Jun 10, 2008

I try to keep a journal/observation notebook and jot down behavior problems or notes throughout the day. It's really hard to train yourself, but I finally just had to keep the notebook with me at all times. This helps when you have referrals and parent conferences.

The notes do not have to always be negative, I also write down if the child is having a problem or if theydid something special.

I used a steno pad and put post it flags down the side separating sections (couple of pages for each child). Each flag was numbered. Then I wrote the class roll on the inside cover and numbered it to match the flags. when I needed to make a note, I just flipped to that child's number and jotted it down including the date.

17. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Jun 10, 2008

Thanks very very much...this I will try with my class.

18. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Jun 10, 2008

Thanks brandi and acorbett. I did something similar to your notebook but with a clipboard and large index cards. I am not very organized. I am the type of person who puts down my marker, and then I have to ask the kids if they have seen it, because I can't find what I did with it! :lol:. I am a piler, too! Which is what happened to my clip board!

When I taught the older kids, I would just have them write down in the log what their choice was. That worked fine. I too, agree that the notes don't have to be negative, I wrote many 'celebration' notes home. The moving down on my baseball chart is what got me. I haven't had a child go home and say it was for some thing when it wasn't. They just would tell their parent they couldn't remember. I will just have to think on this a little bit more. Thanks a bunch for you ideas!

19. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Jun 10, 2008

This particular kid got in trouble for something and he told his parents that someone stole his snack and my assistant and I told him to deal with it---that snack thing did not happen. his dad was so mad and did not send him back to school for a couple of days and i just figured he was sick until his mom came to talk to me about this---his dad was too mad to come. This was definately a situation that I needed to have documentation of why the clip was moved...luckily he did some off the wall something that I remembered when she came by.

20. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Jun 10, 2008

:sorry: to hear that Brandi. I had something similar happen at recess time, when it wasn't even my duty day. Mom and dad came up and talked with the principal and according to son, "My teacher didn't do anything." Which is funny because I spent 20 minute of instruction trying to figure out what happened when I wasn't even there. Plus, I sent the child to the nurse and I talked with the teacher on duty. I also gave the other student a consequence of "playing on the swings" at recess instead of playing ball for a whole week. So, yeah, looks like I did nothing!:whistle: Now, I have these handy little At Recess Time forms, that lets parents know about situations, and how they were handled.

Brandi you can PM me if you can think of something, I would really like to figure something out. Thanks a bunch!

21. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Jun 10, 2008

A teacher I know has a page of blank address labels and when they have to move their pin (or whatever her method is) write down their name, the date and what happened. Then you can stick them in a notebook or file folder for each child.

22. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Jun 10, 2008

TeachNRox---I will definately do that---The only thing I did last year was mark the color they were on for the day--my assistant had a notebook to keep up with this and we also marked it in their folder. I am going to search for something--Thanks to everyone for suggestions...I might try a few of them out and see if they work.

23. Nugget

Nugget Rookie

Jun 12, 2008

My behavior chart has 5 steps to it: orange card on top has a smiling face and we begin every day with it. The next one is yellow and has a frowning face, this is a warning card. The third card is blue and has a chair on it, it means 5 minutes in time out. The fourth card is pink and it has a note on it which means a note is sent home about behavior. The last card is white with a red door on it and it means the principal's office.
    The best thing about using the pictures is: the children know what each one means!
    I also put a white, self-sticking, calendar on the front of every child's folder and color code it at the end of the day - that way the parents can tell at a glance how there child's day was. It also is a great way to prove at a conference about behavior that the child needs more help from both the teacher and the parents! If you would like more info on this plan, email me at pmendrick@comcast.net

24. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Jun 12, 2008

Where do you get or how do you make the self-sticking calendar? I like the sound of that.

25. summersun61

summersun61 Comrade

Jun 12, 2008

I did a ladybug theme last year and I had four steps in the behavior plan.
    1. I'm a sweet bug today (good day)
    2. Oops, I'm so sorry (warning)
    3. No aphids for me (lose a privilege)
    4. Ouch! I just got squished! (call parents/note home)

for a bee theme:
    1. I'm a honey bee!
    2. Oops! I'm so sorry!
    3. No Honey for me
    4. Ouch! I just got stung!

The children enjoyed the "thematic" element of the system. When I had them line up at the end of the day I would always say first, "Will my sweet bugs please line up"? or "Will my honey bees please line up"? Then the children who had a good day got to line up first and so on. They liked that. :)

At the end of the week if they were a "Sweet bug" every day then they earned that week's privilege (popsicles, extra recess, ice cream, etc). The children did NOT want to miss out on the privilege.

26. summersun61

summersun61 Comrade

Jun 12, 2008

I forgot to mention that I had a flower or a hive as the spot on the board where the extra good children got to move their bee or bug to. So they got an extra something if they "made it to the flower", or "made it to the hive".

Any similar ideas for a dog theme?

27. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Jun 12, 2008

I too have been thinking to change my theme to safari or tigers. But, trying to come up with the different levels (3 positive and 3 negative and one neutral) has been hard. Oh, if you want my Weekly Conduct sheet that I send home to parents to get an idea of where students are at the end of the day, PM me! I am working on getting a picture of the chart, haven't made it to walmart to take it off the disposable camera.

28. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Jun 12, 2008

Any ideas for safari/tiger theme let me know...

Dog theme.. I was thinking, where everyone starts for the day could be in a house (people house), go down to kennel (warning), then maybe outside, and finally "the doghouse". Positive moves up, earn treats, puppy toy, a dog walk or a ride in a car (with its head out the window! (trying to think of stuff dogs like)....There is a great book that would go really well with this Good boy, Fergus! I like this, maybe I should forget trying to match it with our school mascot and do a dog/puppy theme! I love dogs!

29. Nugget

Nugget Rookie

Jun 12, 2008

I made mine using Excell. I put 6 on a page and print them out on white, full sheet labels that I purchased at an office supply store. Then you just cut them apart. The really nice thing is, you can add small reminders on the correct date for library, special events, ect.

30. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Jun 12, 2008

What wonderful ideas!!! I love the sticky calendars!! I would mark their color and send it home, but if it was bad they most likely got rid of the page it was on. I am going to try the sticky calendars. I also love the themes. I can't decide if I want to do the ladybugs or the bees.

31. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Jun 13, 2008

32. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Jun 13, 2008

I like the bead idea....possible problems with first grade: taking beads from someone else, playing with beads during class. I have desks, her name tag idea is great, but my desks are in groups, so that portion of the nametag is hidden. The option of putting the tag on the desk, wouldn't be good because the kids play with stuff. You could make a board with them all. I have limited board space in my room, though. I think it would be good, it is a matter of what you feel comfy with. I am going to do something similar but with pennies, and just as an extra incentive, not as the system...still working out those kinks! :)

33. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Jun 13, 2008

Yeah--i thought about them taking the beads off too--one person mentioned hole punches and that would work good...and instead of putting them on the desk it could make a cute bulletin board.

34. dsavery

dsavery New Member

Jul 7, 2008

How does the clothespin one work exactly? Thanks.

35. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Jul 7, 2008

you have different colors- i had green, yellow, and red....some teachers have 4 colors...in my class the kids start off on green and if they get into trouble they moved to yellow and then if it happened again they move to red and they got a call to the mom or dad if they stayed on green for the whole week then on friday they got to go to the treasure box.

36. dsavery

dsavery New Member

Jul 8, 2008

clothespins

So, they have the red/yellow/green on a card and then move the clothespin to the color if necessary? Would these colored cards be on their desks or I guess they could be on a BB?
    Susie

37. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jul 8, 2008

That is so cute! I love the idea of using the rainbow, cloud, etc. I'm doing a Hollywood theme next year in my first grade room - any ideas about how to integrate a similar system (one to start out, two for poor behavior, one or two for great behavior) with Hollywood words?

38. mel-bel

mel-bel Rookie

Jul 8, 2008

I've used the clothespins for the last 2 years. Green- happy face, Yellow-squiggly face, Red-sad face. Then in their HW folder is a calendar that gets a happy face stamp if they were on happy or squiggly. If they were on red at the end of the day, they had to tell me the number(s) of the rule they broke that landed them on red.

I want to use the same system this year. I really like the calendar being sent home daily. And it takes literally 2 mins. to stamp everyone's calendar. I've changed my theme to bees this year and am trying to incorporate that into my existing system. Any suggestions?

39. Daisha

Daisha Companion

Jul 9, 2008

TeachnRox and everyone else,
    I really like the system of 3 down's and 3 up's I have a fish/ocean theme.

Currently I have little paper fish bowls that I have made and put three fish in there green (warning), yellow (miss recess), and red (call home or office). Then they would have to pull their fish (take them out of their bowls and put them in a little envelope above them).

If any of you have ideas out there keep them coming, I really like this thread and need some help too. :):thanks:

40. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Jul 9, 2008

It kinda reminds me of Nemo- you could have them start in a pond or a petstore- aquarium, going down could be an fish bowl, net, hook. Up could be lake (or maybe a brook), river, and ocean!

Is this what you had in mind?

41. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Jul 9, 2008

Bee behavior

See post #24 on this thread, there are some bee suggestions for you! :)