Behavior Chart Help!

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by melissaolemiss, Aug 7, 2006.

1. melissaolemiss

melissaolemiss Rookie

Aug 7, 2006

I need some help/ideas and am hoping someone with experience can give it to me. I am a first year teacher and have been teaching for about 2 months now at a preschool. I am about to get a new class (next monday!) and I want to do some sort of daily behavior chart with the kids. They are Pre-k obviously. I want a way for me and them to be able to track their daily behavior and reward them at the end of the week with a lil treat. But i don't know how to do it. Star stickers? Smile/Sad faces? Any advice you can give would be great!!!!!!!! Please help!!!!

3. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Aug 10, 2006

In the past I have given B.U.G. tickets (Being unusually good). When the children get 10 they can shop. They kept them in a little baggy in their basket. I am changing that this year. I am doing a sticker chart and when the kids get 10 stickers they will get to shop.

4. Love2shop

Love2shop Rookie

Aug 10, 2006

Hi I teach preschool and use the happy/sad faces.

I have all the names on a board and when I catch them being "Good" I put up a green happy face. At the end of the day I give out a ditto sheet with a clown holding 5 ballons numbered 1-5 and they color a ballon. When they get 5 green ballons they can go into the TREASURE BOX and get a prize.

If they are not behaving they get a yellow face with a smile that is wiggly (not a true smile).

If they do something really unacceptable they get a red face that has a frown on it. But I will give them opportunities to get to the yellow or green face.

If they have a ballon colored with green & yellow I give out stickers, but if they have a red ballon they get nothing.

I hope this helps! Enjoy your new class & good luck

5. ksmomy

ksmomy Companion

Aug 11, 2006

I recently started using a high-five system. Each child has a handprint with his/her name on it. I keep them in the Hi-5 folder so other parents and children can't see them. Each time the child follows a rule, does something special (like helping another child clean up etc..) they get a sticker on their paper hand. 10 stickers = a high-five and a trip to the treasure box. I thought this way they could feel they were earning the stickers and the trip to the treasure box. So far it has helped a lot with a couple of children that were having some problems following the classroom rules.

6. Cricket

Cricket Rookie

Aug 11, 2006

In my son's pre-k class, they did stars for appropriate behavior and nothing for inappropriate behavior. As an child (and probably as an adult), if I had my name on a chart and a sticker showing the classroom that I misbehaved, I would be embarrassed. Maybe that would motivate me to do better, but I might just withdraw. As a child, I was very shy and if someone even looked at me the wrong way I was mortified. I still remember getting in trouble for trying to put perfume on a boy in the first grade. After that, I cried every day that I had to go to school!!

Just food for thought.

7. Lotte

Lotte Companion

Aug 12, 2006

I like the traffic light for showing good behaviour.
    Maybe they could get a smiley happy face sticker if they manage to stay on green all day? Yellow - nothing, red-written up in a book and parents contacted after a specific period of time/number of days wit hbad behavior.