Behavior Badge

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by ajd5160, Aug 10, 2008.

1. ajd5160

ajd5160 Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

HI EVERYONE,
    So I have an idea, but it just does not seem to be coming all of the way together. I was wondering if someone had ideas to build on my idea...
    I teach inner city, so incentive systems are REALLY important to keep behavior under control. In the past I have used incentive tickets. But it seemed that I never had them around when I needed them or I was running across the class to get one and then the student had to figure out what to do with it, especially if we were in the cafeteria or bathroom.
    I saw in the Really Good Stuff magazine little punch cards for behavior. I was thinking about using badge tags to have my students wear similar punch tags that I make on cardstock. I was thinking that they will be really proud to get punches and want to tell others why they are wearing their tags. It would also serve as a way to take attendance because I would see who had put their tag on.
    I was planning on starting with 5 punches before a reward, and increase this throughout the year. (I also use a stoplight behavior chart so this wouldn't be the only form of management).

Any forseeable problems, etc?

3. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2008

I think that is an AWESOME idea! Something you could do to help make them seem more "official" and maybe to last longer would be to purchase the little badge holders (I think you can get them from Office Max or something like that) in a bulk package (30-50). Then you can laminate your little behavior badge cards (we did something similar to this but it was called Polite Police.....) and have them really in a cool shape (like a police badge or something) --- I would also have it so they can turn in their badge (with 10 punches) or whatever you want the total to be (20?) to earn something special. You can do things that don't require you to spend money, like

Take shoes off during class for a day
    Use pens on school work (this is exciting in elementary school... I have a special pencil pouch filled with fun different colored pens)
    Be the teacher's assistant
    Check teacher's mailbox
    Eat lunch with teacher
    Wear teacher's shoes (this was a weird one, but for whatever reason the kids loved it...??)
    No Homework Pass
    5 points extra on test Pass
    etc. etc.

The little badge holders would clip on to the kids shirts - this would keep the badges from getting lost, etc. If you have really little kids (not sure of your level) -- the little badge holders could pose a problem with small fingers getting clipped in them....

Here's a link of what I'm thinking of in my vision...

http://www.photobadge.com/Badge-Clips-p-1-c-253.html

Another idea if you have little guys is to get lanyards. I know you can get cheap ones if you buy in bulk - and then they would just wear them around their necks.

I think this idea really has the potential to do well --- especially in an inner city setting where the kids need some visuals and extrinsic motivation!

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 10, 2008

I dunno if they would want to "wear" the badges all the time at that age BUT what about those badge clip ons you can wear on your pants and then it has a string so you can pull the badge out and present it without taking it off. That feels official too.

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 10, 2008

Oh wait a min, 3rd grade. I was thinking middle school. Nah, 3rd grade should mind wearing them.