Behavior and Discipline

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by MusicMaker, Dec 11, 2006.

1. MusicMaker

MusicMaker Rookie

Dec 11, 2006

I'm a first year teacher and I'm very frustrated with my situation. I'm supposed to have a mentor, but I'm not being mentored at all. All feedback I've gotten has been very critical. I've never seen a group of adults talking about each other so negatively. I end up staying until 7 or 8 each night. I'm burnt out.

My biggest issue is that I feel as though I've totally lost the kids. Most of them don't listen to me. When I ask them to come to their spots on the carpet, half of them do it, then I have to prod incessantly to get the rest there. Then, I'll have maybe 14 listening, then the others keep talking, bothering each other.

I use a lot of positive things, sticker chart, tickets for prize box, etc. I use 1, 2, 3, magic for off task behavior. Warning, 1, 2, then 3 you have to sit away from the group and complete a behavior sheet (good choice / bad choice). That sheet is sent home and signed by the parents.

I don't know what else to do. :eek:

3. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Dec 11, 2006

I know how you feel. Last year was my first and I felt exactly how you are feeling right now. I think what you are doing sounds good! The question I would ask though is how consistent are you being with your discipline?
    I think that was the thing last year that really did me in for part of the year. I think that with consistency and immediate consequences for behaviors you want and don't want, things will get better.
    YOU can do it!!! I know it feels like it will never end, but the year will end and you will be able to start fresh next year. I know this year I feel much more confident in my classroom management. It is the most challenging and important piece of teaching, as you know.
    Another suggestion is to start calling parents for good behaviors and also for unwanted behavior. I think that calling them and discussing the fact that their child is not listening and need to be prodded to come to the rug and to listen is something that parents should hear and know.
    I don't know if this helps at all, but please know you are not alone in feeling this way. The only other thing I can say is that you willl GETthrough this!!!!!!

4. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Dec 11, 2006

Just thought of one more thing as I was re-reading your post. One way I get the kids to come to the rug and ensure that they are there when I need them there is to play a song on the cd player. I have trained them that when the song is over, they are to be sitting on their spot on the rug. If they aren't, they have to change their behavior card because they have ample time to get there.
    I don't know what grade you teach but this is working well with my second graders.

5. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Dec 11, 2006

Gah I should really be more observant. I see that you teach first grade. Sorry about that.

6. Tigers

Tigers Habitué

Dec 11, 2006

children have multiple locks; and, while consistency is a key, method is another. often times it's not in what follows after they do not sit on the rug, but how you ask them to sit on the rug in the first place. Though you may be working wonders with you methods for some of your children you might need to tweak them a little bit to benefit those who are struggling.

7. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Dec 12, 2006

i agree with tigers. our teachers are constantly warning us when we do practice lessons during class to make sure that we pay very careful attention to how we ask the students to do things. do we ask them and give them the option or do we tell them, even if nicely? for example, who wants to come to the board and do this problem? or sarah, please come to the board and do problem one, michael please come and do problem two, etc.