beginning the school day

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by AuburnTeach, May 4, 2006.

1. AuburnTeach

AuburnTeach Companion

May 4, 2006

I'm moving from first grade to second grade in the fall; I get to take "my" kids from this year with me. :)

I like to start the day in a way that brings the kids together and sets the tone for the day. Right now we do attendance and lunch count, then gather in the back of the room for calendar. Next, we write a morning message using interactive writing.

I've gotten some great ideas from this forum about other calendar activities. I'm not going to do a morning message next year with the entire class.

I'm looking for other ways to begin the day as a class. One of the students in my class has special needs; he spends most of his day in a self-contained classroom, but joins us in the morning when we begin our day. So, I need activities that are developmentally appropriate for second graders that he can take part in.

Any ideas will be great appreciated. Thanks :).

3. ricksand

ricksand Rookie

Aug 16, 2006

I like to start the day with music. I play the guitar but you could use CD's. I think it sets the mood for a good day. Ron Brown has teaching tunes that are great for reviewing concepts or songs that have word play. Each of my students has a song book and I have transparencies for the overhead with the lyrics. It's a great reading exercise and really motivates the children!

4. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2006

Where did you purchase this cd??? Sounds like a great way to start the day.:p

5. ricksand

ricksand Rookie

Aug 17, 2006

You can find them on line at Ron Brown Teachin Tunes. My school bought all of his CD's at a RESULTS conference but they are available online as well. If you can't find them let me know and maybe I could burn you a copy. They really are great.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 17, 2006

You can start with some kind of brain teaser and have them work in teams. Get them moving and working together.

If you don't do it in calendar, try using a thermometer and recording the temps, graphing them later on.