beginning sounds

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by puff5655, Jan 31, 2011.

1. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Jan 31, 2011

My kids have rhyming down, and blending onsets and rymes. Now I want to work on segmenting onsets/rymes and naming the beginning sound. They can tell me the first sound in their name, but that's as far as they can go.

They cannot, for example, name a word that starts with a given sound, or tell me what sound a word starts with.

How do you teach this? What games/songs are there that teach this?

3. SamIAm

SamIAm Companion

Jan 31, 2011

Letter bag

You can do a letter bag. Each week have one child bring in a bag filled with items that all start with the same letter sound. Have the children try to guess what items are in the bag - first by looking at just the letter, then you can have the child who brought it in give clues.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 31, 2011

Have you made a word wall with their names. You could have all the students start by telling the beginning sounds in each others names.

Maybe you could then add pictures of words to the right place on a word wall...

5. LvToyFoxTerrier

LvToyFoxTerrier Rookie

Jan 31, 2011

I show pictures starting with a certain letter and have them listen to the similar beginning sound. Read a story that has a lot of that beginning letter in it and have them identify the words that start with the letter. Their show and tell that week has to start with the letter being studied. Repeat the sound of the letter several times a day through stories, pictures, etc.