Beginning of Year Reading Inventory

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by glitterfish, Sep 8, 2009.

1. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Sep 8, 2009

This is kind of last minute, but tomorrow is the first day of school and I decided I'd really like to do reading conferences with my students to get to know what they are like as a reader.

Any ideas of questions or does anyone have a form that they give out at the beginning of the year to understand their students better?

Thanks for your help!

3. stbprekteacher

stbprekteacher Rookie

Sep 9, 2009

What did you end up doing? I'm sorry you did not get anyfeedback.
    I've been ask to tutor a kinder and 1st grader and I need to start with testing them first. Any suggestions.

4. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Sep 10, 2009

Hi there, thanks for your reply. :) I ended up googling "reading interest survey" and found some good premade forms that had questions to ask such as, "what do you like to read about?" "how long do you read during the day?" and "do you like listening to stories read aloud?"

So, it will be a good start. I actually haven't used it yet. I definitely do assessments with my kids, as well. As for kinders and first graders, have you tried doing a running record, in which you listen to them read a passage and mark the errors that they make and see what kind of errors they are making and why? There are kits that you can buy that may help. I would also definitely test them on their sight words. You may be able to find a set of sight words in the form of flashcards at somewhere like Staples or Target, even. See which ones they know and this will give you a starting point. Sorry to be so vague. I don't know a whole lot about the little ones.

5. stbprekteacher

stbprekteacher Rookie

Sep 10, 2009

So glad to hear from you. My session when really well. I just underated my new students because, I work at a title 1 school.
    The kinder knew all of the primer sight words except for two. The mom really wants me to challenge her child. The mom wants me to say the words she mispronounces and she wants me to ask them questions while reading and write a paragraph about what they read about. I think the last part I mentioned was to advanced.

6. stbprekteacher

stbprekteacher Rookie

Sep 11, 2009

The mom does not want me to use computer games,workbooks, or puzzle games. I'm not sure where I go from here and I have to tutor her again on Sunday.

7. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Sep 12, 2009

Hmmm...mom's kind of picky. A lot of those things can be great, when used well. I guess she just wants you to read??? I don't know about yours, but our local library is awesome. I would suggest checking out your library and getting a ton of books and just, read, read, read for now.

8. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Sep 12, 2009

Read, read, read, read! In between books talk about the different genres, text connections, make predictions, ask questions, keep a chart of what you've read. Have her write a letter to you discussing what she's read.