Beginning of year Kinder Assessments

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Mable, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2005

I am wondering what types of "entrance" assessments you gather on your kindergarteners. What are the tests you give them and how do you go about testing all of your students? We test at the beginning of the new school year and do a series of assessments...What do you do? How do you do it? What does it look like? :thanks:

3. MzB

MzB Rookie

Jul 28, 2005

In K here, they do the lowercase and uppercase letter identification, sight word id, dictation, letter sound, writing spree, number id, concepts of print, maybe a running record at the beginning, if not in December.

I don't know HOW teachers do it. During one of my practicums a few years ago, I was doing the letter id and the number if on the kids, and it took a while and I wasn't teaching at the same time. I don't see how they get all that done AND teach.

4. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2005

it takes a lot of help. I was a volunteer, and I was very busy during assesment weeks. And that was with 2 aides and a teacher there too! I would take a few kids in one hallway and work with them, the teacher would work in another hallway, and the rest of the class would work on a project with the aides.

5. karrie723

karrie723 Rookie

Jul 28, 2005

I am actually going tomorrow to take my twins for their kindergarten assessment. The school does it 1 week before school starts so that they can place children in the proper class, so that not all the smart kids end up in one class, or alll behavior problems in another. They try to make the classes as even as possible. They also do a speech and language assessment. I will let you know what else they do tomorrow.

6. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2005

We're going to try it different this year. We've been allowed 4 days at the beginning of school (first week) to test kinders. So, we are going to pull kids from home (give appointment times) and have the parents bring them so we can concentrate on one student at a time. We've been doing it 5 kids a day and I could not test and teach all at once. Hopefully, we will have 2 "testers" for each class. Let's hope it works better this way.

7. Mrs. L

Mrs. L Rookie

Jul 29, 2005

In South Portland we use the first 3 days to assess the children. We have a couple if ed techs and the speech teacher help out too. Although school is in session for the 1st thru 5th grade, K is not in session on those 3 days. parents bring in their child for about an hour, at their secheduled appointment. Usually we do 4 children an hour. Assessments include a speech screening, concepts about print, letter Id, ESI, a math assessment, rhyming and phonological awareness. Sometimes we also show a small list of words if the child does very well on the letter id and concepts about print.

8. Julie

Julie Rookie

Jul 29, 2005

When I taught kindergarten we had staggered entry and had about 5 kids per day. While my assistant and I were assessing, the other kids were in a center. We also assessed rhyming, social skills, and draw a person (DAP).