Beginning of year exhaustion

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 4, 2013

Honestly, I have no room to complain. Everything is better than last year - better school morale, better team, better class, etc.) but I am so tired!! It's 7:00 here and I really feel like I could go to bed now and sleep all night...yesterday I made it as far as 8:30 :lol:

I feel like a broken record teaching routines and being firm, firm, firm all day. I am determined this year to set the bar high and step back later in the year. I'm never mean and of course I don't yell, but it's exhausting being "on" all the time. Today we had to line up for recess 5 times - but they discovered I mean business :)

Day 7 is tomorrow. I'm looking forward to something like day 40 when I don't have to explain every little detail!

3. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Sep 4, 2013

It's funny you posted this! I started a thread about basically the same thing in the elementary education forum. I am so stinking tired. It's take-out night at our house. :blush:

Beth

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2013

Today was day one with kids. I've got 18 kiddos. So far so good although I already know I need to keep a heads up on two or three of them..(2 are new to school, unreliable records...one may need ESL, the other was in basic skills at his former school and has a crazy divorce situation I've already let guidance know about) I'll get them the support they need...everything else looks good...got A LOT done with them today...capitalizing on the honeymoon phase! I took a nap when I got home though! Day off tomorrow!:D

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2013

We end our fist full week, Friday, with a faculty cocktail party :)

It will be well attended, I promise!!!

6. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 4, 2013

I just got home from my first day with my kids and I can barely move. My feet ache and my legs are so tired. I had an awesome day. I have a couple of monkeys I'll need to work with a bit this week, but in general things are good. I know I should do a quick work out... but I can't even fathom the thought.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2013

Fun!

8. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 4, 2013

Working out really does help. I notice a difference on the days there's no class for me to go to (I do Zumba about 4x/wk)

9. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 4, 2013

My honeymoon ended today, with a bang. I guess all of them decided today was the day, right around 10:30 :lol:

I bought some boxed wine last weekend :eek: Once this week is over I will back way off of it, but this week I need it!

We have a random workday Friday, I really have my eyes on that even though it's all trainings.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2013

My head always remembers that I'll be absolutely exhausted the first week, but my body always forgets just how it feels. I know I'll adjust, but this first week is a killer.

11. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Sep 4, 2013

I know... It's insane how tired those first few days in September make you! I have a pretty good group of kids, but being on my feet all day is just exhausting!

12. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 4, 2013

I just made myself get up because I was falling asleep on the couch. I feel like an old lady going to bed so early, but I am just soooo tired! My feet haven't even totally gotten used to having to wear shoes all day again either! :whistle:

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 4, 2013

Overall, I have a pretty light workload, but just getting back into the routine is tiring. Yesterday, I felt the need to "lay down for a while" at around 7:30pm. I didn't wake up until 11pm in which I stayed up until almost 2am watching TV. I knew I had to go to sleep before I totally had zero hours of sleep! My alarm's set for 5:25am. I never had a night like that on a work night! This Friday will end my 3rd full week.

I'm going to the fair that's going on in my area tomorrow evening. :)

14. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Sep 5, 2013

I feel the exhaustion! Just with reminding them of procedures. I can't wait until things run smoothly and they know what to do and when. I'm just making an effort to be positive and friendly to combat exhaustion. Not only does it put me in a better mood (kind of a "fake it 'til you make it" mentality), but the students respond better when you outwardly show you are invested in them as learners and people.

Good luck to everyone in the coming weeks. We can do it!! :)

15. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Sep 5, 2013

Boy, do I identify! This is my 31st year, but I'm not near retirement because my first 22 years were in private school. I had a stroke in March, and, thank God, I'm much better. I rested and got so much done this summer. But now I'm in a classroom with 20 kindergarteners, 15 of whom know no English! And they were all born in America! The parents get upset because their children don't understand my directions, although I give many of them in Spanish. Well, I better stop venting! But I'm almost glad to know I'm not the only one! :)

16. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 5, 2013

scholar~sorry to hear about the stroke but glad to hear that you're recovering!

I'm on my 5th week of working but this is the 2nd week that kiddos have been in school so I do find that I am more tired because I have to travel between the office and my campus to see students. This is the first week that I haven't felt the need for a nap after getting home from work and have actually run and biked after dinner.

17. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 7, 2013

This.

My feet are trouble for me even when I have lots of stamina. I had to start keeping a pair of my cushy flip-flops to put on after the kids leave for the day. That has helped some.

18. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Sep 7, 2013

Being on my feet all day doesn't bother me, but the constant talking (by me!) and staying on top of everything is exhausting.

19. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 7, 2013

How funny, I was just coming to this forum to post the same thing. My subject was going to be "Yes, I went to bed at 6:15 on a Friday night." I couldn't even keep my eyes open! I made myself stay awake until about 8:00 every other night this week.

20. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 7, 2013

I went out for drinks last night and BARELY managed to stay up until 8:00 ;)

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 7, 2013

Sleeping in until 7 am this morning was HEAVEN!!

22. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Sep 7, 2013

We have been back with the students for 8 days now. I slept ten hours straight last night. I don't think I moved the whole night. I know I never woke up which I normally do 2-3 times a night.

23. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Sep 7, 2013

We actually finished our 4th week with students on Friday. I am still exhausted though, because a bout of bronchitis and then a sinus infection afterwards totally zapped my energy and I'm still recovering. These poor kids have barely seen a totally "healthy version" of me since school started. I hope this isn't a sign of how this year will go, germ-wise, because in previous years I've hardly been sick at all.

24. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 7, 2013

My whole body is tired every day.

25. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Sep 7, 2013

So, here it is Saturday, and I'm am so stinking exhausted I seriously think I could go back to bed and sleep until noon. If it weren't for my little boy, I probably would. :blush:

Even though it was just a four day week, it was still soooooooo tiring. It's like we're STILL working on basic procedures and expectations - even though we're a MONTH in. :dizzy: But, alas, I've got to snap out of it. Dirty house, laundry, and that bag of papers needing graded are calling my name. Some friends of ours just bought a new house and want us to come over for dinner tonight. I don't really have the "want to" to be social or the time. I'm thinking my allergies might be acting up. :whistle:

I have got to, got to, got to start making healthier choices in eating, exercising, and start getting more sleep. I just feel like crap all the time, which doesn't help with the general exhaustion of the beginning of the year.

Beth

26. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Sep 7, 2013

Ten hours last night and I just finished a two hour nap!:dizzy: I do feel much better though.

27. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 7, 2013

I just finished my first week...only 3 actual days with my students. I woke up at 9am this morning....on Saturdays I usually get up around 6:30!