Beginning of Year Activities for 3rd

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by jenglish97, Jun 28, 2010.

1. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jun 28, 2010

Hi! This is my second year in 3rd grade. I am looking for some new ideas and activities to do with my students in the beginning of the year. What are some fun activities you do with your 3rd graders for the first week of school?

Thanks for all your help! :)

3. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2010

This is what I do: BACK TO SCHOOL ACTIVITIES and BACK TO SCHOOL ACTIVITIES 2

I also always read Judy Moody as my 1st read aloud. Like them, Judy is starting 3rd grade. It's a fun book and it gets them into reading the JM and Stink series throughout the year.

4. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Jul 1, 2010

I think a great activity is a "hunt" worksheet with questions that allow them to learn your room and how everything operates.

For instance:
    1) What is rule #2 in our classroom?
    2) Where do you turn in your homework?

Another activity is to have a sheet that gets them socializing with other people in the class. They walk around the room, asking one another questions that are on their paper and they have to record the persons name. If you make it timed it makes it extra exciting!
    1) Find two people in the class who hate spinach.
    2) Who has a birthday in August?
    3) Find one student who has a pet other than a dog, cat or fish.

Hope this helps!

5. 2tired2teach

2tired2teach Companion

Jul 3, 2010

My favorite activity - write about Your Summer Vacation, however, nothing you write can be true! All fantasy! I give them an example - they LOVE that!

6. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jul 18, 2010

Thanks for your ideas!!! :) Look forward to using some of them this year!

7. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2010

To introduce the scientific process, we do an experiment where they work in groups to make boats out of popsicle sticks, clay, and tin foil. The goal is to design the one that will hold the most weight. After they go through the whole process, from hypothesizing to designing to creating, we test the boats as a class, using a big clear plastic container and pennies. (I guide the kids to come up with the testing procedures too, so they help plan a fair experiment). We record and analyze our data together--the nice thing about this activity is that they can easily draw a lot of conclusions from what happens. It also lends itself well to creating a new experiment or question to test. My kids always love it, and quite a few go home and try to design a better boat!

8. Miss JE

Miss JE Companion

Jul 20, 2010

I am after some new beginning of the year activities as well....

I always do "Me in a Bag" which is where they put 5 items that tells something about themselves into a brown bag and bring it to school to share with the class.

I do a scavenger hunt of the room using several Where's Waldo characters. I hide five around the room in different areas I want to discuss about their use (library, pencil cup) and the kids walk around and try to find them. Then we talk about the areas one at a time... a fun twist to talking about "procedures"

Lots of get to know you sheets like most people

Create all about me t-shirts where each part of the tshirt is illustrated a certain way (ex. on the collar write a word that describes you...)

A quick filler is to have a poster board with a big happy face on it and give each student a sticky note. They write what makes them smile and then each student takes a turn coming and telling the class and putting it on the poster board

That's all I can think of right now but I am ready for some new and fresh ideas!

9. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Jul 23, 2010

These are all great ideas!! Anyone else have any to share? I'm new to 3rd this year too! :)

10. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 23, 2010

http://www.misscampioni.com/Recipe for Success.htm
    I did this last year and loved it. I did five days, we talked about different character traits and why they were important. Then did an activity, some I got from this website and some that I modified. Then we added the snack piece from the day. We shared the snack together at the end of the week.

I also do a time capsule on the first day that we don't open until the end of the year. I take a piece of yarn to measure their height, their picture, and a questionnaire. They fill out the questionnaire again at the end of the year, and I take a new picture of them, and measure them again. They love this!