Beginning of the year

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by singingstacy, Jul 21, 2008.

1. singingstacy

singingstacy Rookie

Jul 21, 2008

I am teaching Kindergarten this year, and it's my first year of teaching. I student-taught in Kindergarten, but it was at the very end of the year, so they were practically first graders. What should I expect of these little ones at the beginning? How can I prepare? What specific procedures will I have to model that I wouldn't in another grade? (Other than coming in the room, what to do when you're done with something, going to the bathroom, touring the school, etc). Any tips you can give me would be great! I am kinda nervous about this!

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 21, 2008

Don't be nervous, but you will have to model EVERYTHING. Every year I forget because the kids do get into a routine by the end of the year and automatically know where to go. Have something out for them to do at the tables when they walk in the door. After everyone leaves, I go right into the rules. We literally walk out to the dismissal point and go over the expectations, fire drill (we always have one on the 1st day). Practice walking up and down the halls, then we come back and do a lesson, where those rules can be reinforced. It's challenging the first couple of weeks, but after that, you'll be amazed how responsible they can be. Before you go anywhere, review the expectations - lunch, ancillary, etc. You'll be fine!

4. lilygirl

lilygirl Rookie

Jul 21, 2008

Kevin knows the Rules

You will do great! Be excited! It is very important that you start off on the right foot as far as behavior expectations are concerned. There is a book available on amazon.com called "kevin knows the rules" that is perfect for introducing your class rules and helping to model and practice them with the class. It is a fun way to do something very necessary.
    Other than that, just be yourself and you will find your flow!
    Lilygirl

5. Lilly4

Lilly4 Rookie

Jul 21, 2008

Model EVERYTHING. I recommend The First Six Weeks to get you going. You have to model and practice every little thing you want them to do...lining up, bathroom breaks, how to use glue, how to put their backpacks away, etc. Go very slowly and don't expect to get through as much as you did during student teaching. The first thing we learn is our class signal and we move from there. You'll want to start teaching and they will want to start playing, but I caution you to go slow and model, model, model! :)

6. monkey girl

monkey girl Rookie

Jul 21, 2008

Congrats on your new job and welcome to Kindergarten--the best grade to teach!

I have been in that situation - I think every K teacher should get to student teach at the beginning of the year!!! It is an exciting time for the kids...and for you!!!

Couple thoughts...
    *see if a building aide or parent volunteer can come in for the first hour or so to help get the kids situated. There are all kinds of things to take care of - "office procedures," parent visits, a child reluctant to leave their parent, folders to check, supplies to bring in to the classroom, etc. that need to be taken care of - and having another knowledgable, caring adult in the room will help you a lot. This is my 9th year teaching and I still have my mom come in with me on the first day. It helps me tremendously.
    *have some kind of marker on the floor for lining up. I remember when I asked my kiddos to line up at the door for a bathroom break and they all gave me a blank stare. They had no idea what it meant to "line up." Now I borrow the poly spots from the PE teacher for the first week and put them in a line at the door. I then call each child to stand on a particular colored spot. I also use the analogy of building a train. One train car goes behind another and so when a new train car is added it goes to the end of the line. This has helped when we walk down the hall too because the train cars all stay behind the one in front of them (in theory - after all, they are 5-6 year olds).
    *lastly, take all class bathroom breaks often. I try and do them 1 time every hour or so. Kids are nervous their first day and may be too scared to ask if they can go or they may not want to go on their own. I have done this every year too and haven't had any accidents yet - I hope I didn't just jinx myself!!!

Good luck and have fun!!!!!

7. Kindermaine

Kindermaine New Member

Jul 21, 2008

You will do great!!

Congrats! Teaching K is the best. The previouse k teacher before me told me that assume that the kids do not know how to do anything. You have to think of your procedures ahead of time and how you want. I used Harry Wongs theory about procedures and had a multi step procedure for everything. I never shared them with anyone excep the TA and substite but it made it very easy for me to make sure that I was having the studetns do the same thing every time. I also follow the Reponsive classroom book six weeks of school. I would highly recommend getting this book. It will make teh first 3 weeks of school a breeze. Best of luck.