Beginning of the year

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by aprilgurlie, Jun 22, 2006.

1. aprilgurlie

aprilgurlie Rookie

Jun 22, 2006

Hello all,

I will be subbing next year and I was just wondering how long it usually takes to get the first call-like how long into the school year. A couple of weeks? Thanks!!

3. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jun 22, 2006

From my experiences, September is usually a slow month, since teachers are trying to adjust to their new students, assessments, all that important beginning-of-year stuff. However, if you sub for a year-round school September can be a steadier month. As a rule, I recall September picking up more towards the end. :)
    Nasimi77

4. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Jun 22, 2006

You should get one or two calls the third week of September then you will work more steady by the time October starts. To increase your chances of working sign up with 3 or 4 districts. Terry G.

5. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Jun 23, 2006

You could get a call as early as the first day honestly... things come up and people get sick/hurt. When I was subbing, I started getting calls the second week as our first week only consisted of 2 days.

Make sure that you make contact with the secretary and principal each and every time you substitute. Their knowledge of you will be invaluable when/if you try to obtain a full-time teaching position.

6. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 23, 2006

As previously stated, you can definitely get called the first week into the school year. Teachers are often at conferences, etc. You will definitely be called upon in the month of Sep.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 23, 2006

When I was pregnant with my second child, they scheduled an amnio for me for the 2nd day of school, with no input from me. People also get jury duty, house closings, funerals, and so on. So be ready on the first day; you never know!

8. aprilgurlie

aprilgurlie Rookie

Jun 23, 2006

Thanks!

Thank you all for your input. I was feeling nervous that I wouldnt work until October!! :) But I just found out that there are 2 year-round elementaries here, so I will have to get cozy with the secretaries. :) Bribery is a good thing!! I suppose it also depends on the area and how many subs there are.

9. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2006

You have the right idea. The school secretary is the most powerful person on the campus.

10. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Jun 24, 2006

Amen to that Malcolm. My 3 best friends at school -- the secretary, the nurse, and the custodial staff. If you need something done, these people are your number one team!