Beginning of the Year Writing?

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by nathev01, Aug 16, 2008.

1. nathev01

nathev01 Rookie

Aug 16, 2008

How would you start a writing project at the beginning of the school year? We are supposed to teach 6 Trait Writing, and I have no idea where to start!

3. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 17, 2008

If you want a baseline sample, give them some sort of prompt and have them write a paragraph or two in response. Otherwise, I hold off on the 6 Traits for a few weeks. We spend a lot of time on sentence parts and construction as well as reviewing punctuation and parts of speech. I don't give my first major writing project until mid- or late-September.

4. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2008

I'm starting with the ideas section and teaching them how to focus their writing. They are right now in the middle of a short story about going on a specific ride at an amusement park. Tomorrow we're going to talk about style; how to stretch out the climax. Then we'll take that same piece and work on hooks and conclusions.

Then I'll find another topic, focus, stretch climax, hooks and conclusions, and add character development. Then add richer vocabulary.

Just keep going like that, adding more and more, but a mix of the 6 traits.

5. 100%Canadian

100%Canadian Companion

Aug 18, 2008

Try the resource "Classroom Authoring: Guided Writing". I bought it last year and used a few of the activities in it but this year I plan to follow it almost page by page. It starts with choosing the right vocabulary and then goes through sentences and paragraphing. I got my copy through Scholastic so they have it. Here's what it looks like:
    http://www.buyteachercreated.com/estore/product/3137

6. dxiechicken41

dxiechicken41 Rookie

Sep 3, 2008

Anyone have any links to sheets/activities that promote basic beginning of the year paragraph writing? I teach low-level 5th.