Beginning of the year things I don't miss.

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Irishdave, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2013

Inservice training
    One of the few things I don't miss about teaching
    [​IMG]
    You'd sit there trying not to fall asleep (because your summer awake hours are greatly different from your School time awake hours) or thinking, "what could I be doing in my classroom?" Sometimes I would be thinking of the "article" I had read on Classroom management and wanting to implement into my classroom.
    Since I am a speed reader (before LD, there was only remedial reading for ADD kids to go to which I didn't need, I just learned to read faster) I would have already read all the handouts. I finished my croissant/doughnut/pastry of the month, my juice/coffee/soda/half gallon of water, my napkin is full of random doodles and I would look up at the clock and see we still had 2 hours left in the Inservice. AND then we had to sit in student chairs (thank God it wasn't held in the kindergarten room!). AND then the dreaded "Are there any questions?" statement. And sure as shooting some other teachers would ask some questions "just to hear themselves speak!"

My biggest problem was many years during the summer the janitors would use the shop (my classroom!); as a break room, as a place to assemble new furniture, a place to hide from the principal, and one of the last places to finish the 'back to school' cleaning.

fare-thee-well to Inservice training

BTW this is exaggerated but it was fun getting it off my chest

3. Toy_03

Toy_03 Companion

Aug 2, 2013

Don't get me started. I just received our schedule for the first week back (pre planning week) and on our first day back, my team will be in meetings (and some of the other grades too) from 8am till 2pm. 30 mins for lunch and 30 mins before the meeting starts. Some of the training I need such as the new curriculum that we will be doing, but the others are boring and wasteful (just give me a handout and let me be on my merry way). So I totally get your point and I understand.

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 2, 2013

We have 2 whole weeks of it this year.

5. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Aug 2, 2013

:eek: That's nuts! Do you guys get it all over with at the beginning of the year or do you still have some within the school year?

I got our agenda yesterday. We have safety seminar. It's one of those things you have to have every few years. I remember from last time. The guys reads the power points word for word. :yawn: At the least the sucky chairs prevent me from getting too comfortable and sleepy, lol.

6. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Aug 2, 2013

LOL! My dad used to feel the same way, and now, after more than a few years of teaching, I understand why.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 2, 2013

Thank God with my type of position, I don't have to attend staff meetings or staff dev days! Now I used to have to attend monthly meetings the last 2 yrs, but now, I won't even have to attend that, so NO kind of meetings for me at all! Yahoo! :D:whistle::thumb:

Now, if there's a training I WANT to attend (& I normally like trainings), I could try to go if my schedule allows it. If it costs anything though, I'm afraid I'll have to pay out of my own pocket.

8. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Aug 2, 2013

I hate inservice so much! Our first day we have a breakfast then listen to the same stuff procedural stuff from last year for the entire day. Same thing tuesday, except no food and Around Noon we get to go back to our classrooms. Wednesday they send us to p.d. Out side the building for the day. Thursday we meet until about one and then you have to spend the rest of the day planning with your team and email what was discussed to the P to make sure you really were meeting. Friday is another half day meeting then you can work in your classroom.

I hate it so much, but it's better than my last schoolnwhere we spent the entire week doing enforced "fun" whenever we werent meeting. Like go karting, mini golf, trust exercises, etc. you couldnt get into your room until about 2 or 3 o'clock every day except Friday.

During in service, i try to go to my happy place

9. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2013

Five days of preschool. Four of them are inservice. Blech.

It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't exactly the same thing we do every year during preschool. Sooooo much of what we cover should be done just with the new teachers.

But... we have a new principal. I'm hopeful that maybe she can shake things up a bit in the inservice department.

10. teachsph2008

teachsph2008 Companion

Aug 2, 2013

The only benefit is that some of the trainings can be used towards our credential renewal.

11. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 2, 2013

We only have 1 day (Thursday) and then Friday for classroom work, so I assume we have to go to the school site that day. I actually also have to go to a meeting for new employees on Friday, but overall I was planning on being in my classroom all week.
    I think our inservice will be focusing on common core, which is great.

12. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2013

We are doing a WASC accreditation this year, so you can guess what our inservices are going to be about. Ugh!

13. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 3, 2013

It's actually new this year to do it this way, but we do have other days built into our calendar for it. My understanding is that one week of it is district training and the rest is on campus in-service. All in all, we should be very well-trained. ;)

14. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 3, 2013

We have two days before kids come. We usually get one day worth of time in our rooms but it can be split (half day and half day).

15. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 4, 2013

I love the graphic! I completely agree. Even worse than the PD and meetings is the whole district teacher convocation I have endured in some districts; massive waste of time and money!

16. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2013

I used to get my keys a week or two early (some years I kept my key over the summer) So I would come in and take my time setting up my room:cool:

BUT what I did not like was the district assumed that you will come in early and stay late before school starts SOOOO they can use so much of the days before school starts. As a shop teacher I'd get teachers asking for me to make book shelves and stuff, like my time was not valuable!

The most outlandish thing was the PTA asked me to make some "stuff" for them they said, "we will pay you" so I made the stuff (since I had just fell off the turnip truck:eek:) and then gave the bill for my services WELL, the principal told me that it was expected of shop teachers to do it free! I said no it isn't:crosseyed! Show me where in the contract it says I have to do projects for the PTA, Well the SOB wrote me up:mad: !!!!! I got my union rep to have a "chat" with the superintendent. I got a letter from HR telling the write up was removed from my file.

17. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 6, 2013

I have never liked this time of year...two weeks of STUFF...the only good thing is that by the time the kids are back, I have adjusted my sleep routine.