Beginning of the year gift - for teachers

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mrs100, Aug 16, 2009.

1. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Aug 16, 2009

I'm on a grade level team with three other teachers. Our relationship has been strained in the past and I really want to get this year off to a good and positive start. I was thinking of buying a little something for each of them, but am not sure what. Any ideas??? Little gift basket-type items, or something else?

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2009

Off the top of my head:
    - coffee gift card
    - fancy sticky notes and a nice pen
    - notepad or journal with their initials
    - invitation to join you for breakfast in your room before school one day--muffins, coffee and fruit
    - a coupon to cover a recess or bus duty for them
    - a jar of wrapped candy, jellybeans or chocolate to tuck away in their desk or cupboard for "those" days.

4. dunwool

dunwool Rookie

Aug 16, 2009

I am new at my school and I will be working with 4 other teachers closely. So as a "Welcome Back to School and I look forward to working with you" gift I got little felt baskets from Target and a few little things to put in them. I got a travel size package of Shout wipes, for those unexpected spills, mints, some chocolates, a little post-it pad, and some Crystal Light individual packets that you add to a glass of water. Little things can go a long way! Good luck!

5. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2009

I like the breakfast idea. One year one of my teammates had put a little table cloth on a desk and put it out in the hall. She had doughnuts and kolaches (sp?) on the table with napkins and a jug of orange juice and cups. She typed up and printed a cute sign telling us to help ourselves and something about being glad we're on the same team.
    It was convenient - mornings can be a busy time!

Another teammate gave everyone a pack of Thank You cards and wraps a little ribbon around it with a little note. We were able to use those thank you cards that same day as kids brought in gifts on the first day as well as other important days throughout the year.

There are 8 of us so our gift have to be cheap, lol.

6. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Aug 16, 2009

I always give my teammates a little goodie bag for the beginning of the year, and this year I put cute sticky notes, a matching pen, an erasable highlighter, some breath mints (not a hint) some packets of energy drink to add to your water bottle, some cute, fancy paper clips -stuff like that.

7. UpNorth

UpNorth Rookie

Aug 16, 2009

Last year (on the first day of school) I arrived to school earlier than my teammates and zipped into their rooms to place small potted plant on their desks with a card and a pack of stickers... we had a very trusting school and all rooms were unlocked in the morning.

But I know I would LOVE the "coupon to cover a recess or bus duty" as mentioned above! That's wonderful.

Seriously though, ANYthing will (or should) be appreicated! You're very thoughtful :)

8. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 16, 2009

I'm glad I read this - I think that's such a cute idea and especially pertinent because we've had some strife ourselves. I saw some really cute pads of paper at the teacher store-I'm going to get one for each personality.

9. Iteachtwo

Iteachtwo Companion

Aug 16, 2009

These are great ideas. I plan to steal them all!

10. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2009

And I am secretly hoping I don't receive any more pads of paper! I get a pad from my 7 other team members every year...and Christmas...and the parents. I have enough cute pads to last a long while.

I do like the idea of the duty coupon.

Anybody else do anything for their team members?

11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 16, 2009

What about things they can use in the classroom? Stickers, bookmarks, or a favorite read aloud book would be nice.

12. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 16, 2009

I've never done it before, but I think it would be really nice. Chocolate always works for me.

13. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 16, 2009

Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate!

14. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Aug 16, 2009

Great ideas! We each have a few plants, so maybe I'll do that with a cute painted pot or something. I also like the candy jar idea full of sweets b/c we DO all have those days where we need something sweet and we need it NOW! Keep the ideas coming!