Beginning of Kindergarten

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MsElem, Jul 21, 2012.

1. MsElem

MsElem Rookie

Jul 21, 2012

I have never taught Kindergarten or any lower grade before. I was just curious what should/do kindergartners know on the first day of school?

What are some things I should be prepared for on the first day?

3. janney

janney Cohort

Jul 21, 2012

I have always found it best to assume that they don't know anything. I have had students who couldn't even tell me their name. Some times you will get students who can already read and write, but there will also be some who have never held a pencil or a crayon let alone scissors or glue. I always have lessons on how to use everything before we use it.

4. 1stGradeRocks

1stGradeRocks Comrade

Jul 21, 2012

I agree. Assume you are starting with completely blank slates. ;) Yes, some students will not even be able to tell you their name. They need lots and lots of modeling for everything!

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 21, 2012

Really it will be a lot of getting to know each other and the class routines. I do games like Who Stole the Cookie (then I can start learning their names too). Lots of back to school read-alouds. I take a writing sample from them day one, sometimes have them draw a self-portrait or something I can use as a baseline for their portfolios.

The first week we are assessing to see if they know letters/sounds, how high they can count correctly, etc-there will really be broad spectrum so until you know where they are it's hard to plan for where to start. I wouldn't plan anything too academic in the beginning.

I find that the first day goes by really, really fast.

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2012

First day go over rules/expectations. Take them on a tour of the school. I would say even some sort of coloring sheet... this way you can get a sense of some of the skills they have...

7. Kinderfriend

Kinderfriend Rookie

Jul 23, 2012

I have been a first grade teacher for nine year and next year I will be teaching kindergarten. I am super nervous . I think that I will be nervous until I meet the students.

8. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2012

My experience was that you had to teach them EVERYTHING. I had assumed they could walk in a line. I line them up and led them into the hall. They proceeded to walk in a huddle. On day 2 we practiced line walking.

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2012

Iheart...LOL!!!
    When I subbed K I would tell them we have to do the "hair stare!"