Beginning a new math prep

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Aliceacc, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2007

You forgot 3 words

TO BE CONTINUED

Hey they do it on

Law
    . &
    Order

2. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Jul 12, 2007

It's for Monday morning, so tuck those kiddos in and enjoy your night!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2007

I'm pretty easy on them in that respect. All they need for my class is a notebook and something to write with. Our 6-8th graders are required to have marble covered notebooks. When I teach the older kids, I tell them to buy the biggest 5 subject notebook they can find, all for math. Most go through at least 2 during the year.

I don't ask them to bring textbooks to class. If a kid in my class has his textbook open and is writing, it's a sure bet that he's doing tonight's homework. So here's what I do: I wait until there are 3 minutes left in the class, then I change the assignment (say from "evens" to "odds" or something.) Anyone who hasn't yet done the assignment is just doing different problems; there's no penalty. Then I mention "And, Matt? Tomorrow I want to see today's notes." It's one of those little ways to build respect without making a big deal out of an offense.

Anyway, back to the point: It's easy enough for me to put problems up, either on the board or the visualizer. So there's no need for them to lug those textbooks to my class. They do need them every night for homework, but I can live without them in class.

If a kid comes to class w/o a notebook, I tell him to run and get it. It's seldom a real issue.

I don't do class participation at all. I was always one of those quiet kids who did all the work, but seldom raised my hand. I can normally tell who's not paying attention, a simple "Rebecca???" normally brings them back.

Here's my homework policy: As of last year, I give each student one "get out of homerwork free" pass on the first day-- they write their names on the. Passes with names erased or crossed out are not accepted. (I ordered free business cards from Vistaprint.) As I told the parents, this one isn't about homework; it's about responsibility; they have to hang on to the pass until they want to use it.

Aside from that, I allow them to miss and make up up to 3 homeworks per marking period w/o penalty. Hey... sometimes life gets in the way. I would much rather they do it over the weekend than copy it in the cafteteria or on the bus. Any other homeworks they miss are gone forever.

As they're doing the "do now" problems, I take attendance, then walk around the room. I run a highlighter through each hw I check; that way I won't see the same notebook later in the day. I mark any hw that's incomplete or missing. At the end of the marking period, I make them into a percentage: number done over number checked; incompletes are half credit. It's quick and easy and works for me.

Kids who routinely don't do their homework get Academic Detention. They report to the AD room after school to make up the assignment. I rarely give ADs, really only when I want to leave a paper trail about a kid who is going to fail.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2007

Dave, I don't watch Law and Order.

How about "Let's be safe out there!"

5. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 13, 2007

For homework I check it off each day on a scale of 1-10 in math I never grade it. In other subjects I do, but in math it is different, the material is more new to them. I usually assigned about 20 problems a night, depending on difficulty of course. For binders I use a small binder for each unti becuase I would overflow one binder for each prep. I do games and funner activities/projects in my other classes becuase they are just as good as the traditioal ones. But in math I stick to the traditonal way of doing things, just like Alice. No games except if I found a good one that provides real practice on the topic, I also try ot play a review game before each test.

For a notebook I require a three ring binder divided into the following sections:
    -Notes (with COLLEGE RULLED LOOSE LEAF PAPER, I provide graph paper when neccessary)
    -Homework and Classwork
    -Keepers
    -Warm-ups
    -Tests/Quizzes

Alice, I do not know how you manage to teach your kids math in 38 minutes. We have an hour at the MS level every day for the entire year and 90 minutes at the HS level for three terms. Alice, good news I will be teaching Algebra I Honors next year.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2007

Cool. So we can work together... I'll have 3 sections of it :)

do you want the verbal problems I've found so far?

7. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Jul 13, 2007

Thanks for the info Alice!

Here's one more question for you, or anyone else that wants to answer...can you describe for me how your middle school math classroom is set up/physically arranged?

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2007

I have 32-45 kids in a Catholic Jr/Sr HS.

Each room is set up in 6 rows of 7-8 desks each. There's a board in front of the room, and a visualizer & computer there for us to use, along with a pull down screen.

Most, not all, rooms have a side blackboard as well.

Probably NOT what they'll want to hear at your interview.

9. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2007