Beginner French Reasources... Gr 4/5

Discussion in 'Special Subjects' started by BreezyGirl, Aug 29, 2018.

1. BreezyGirl

BreezyGirl Companion

Aug 29, 2018

I am in BC and grades 5 and up require French. I am not fluent at all. I am from the states, so always chose Spanish. I will be teaching a grade 4/5 class and wondering if anyone can recommend any resources. I purchased a couple of items on TPT that were meant for non-French speaking subs. :) I did these last year and could follow along. But, wondering if there is anything anyone found that was straight forward and easy to follow. Thanks!

3. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 29, 2018

What is available in your school? When I taught grade 6 basic French (in another province, not BC), we used a textbook series called "Visages" and it had great CDs that could be used for listening exercises. We also have a provincial French education library and they were excellent for pulling resources.

I am not fluent, by any means, but I can speak basic French. One of the best pieces of advice I was given was to make the first 10 minutes totally oral French. I usually started with a phrase like, "Je porte une chemise" while pointing to my shirt. Then I would ask a student, "Est-ce que TU portes une chemise?" and they'd have to respond in a complete sentence, which I would model. I did that to teach the vocabulary for each theme.