Before you were a teacher, what was your job?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by WindyCityGal606, Jul 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2007

What was your job before you became a teacher?
    I worked as a telemarketer!! Selling lighting fixtures over the phone!!
    Top That!! LOL

3. Teacheroo

Teacheroo Companion

Jul 22, 2007

I worked at Kmart for almost 6 years. ugh. Those were the days, when we didnt have to think about what we were doing. :)

4. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jul 22, 2007

I was a Catering Sales Manager for a hotel. I was in charge of booking meeting space and working with the client to figure out set-up and food needs. I also did wedding coordinator duties. I loved my job prior to teaching!!! However, I love teaching more!!! :love: I'm blessed to know that if I ever decided I need a break from teaching that I would have another industry that I could enjoy working in too.

However, prior to my 3 years at the hotel I had over 65 jobs since I was 16......I could never find one I was happy at and that kept my attention long enough. My cousin would do my taxes for my family and HATED doing mine because I would typically have about 7-10 W-2's each year. :eek:

5. Bitsy Griffin

Bitsy Griffin Companion

Jul 22, 2007

Consultant/writer. I loved my job too and was happy doing it, but we had moved and this seemed right for the time.

6. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Jul 22, 2007

I did some photography. I still enjoy takin pictures, but I sure don't miss the brats with parents with unrealistic expectations. (I don't care that my kid is throwing a tantrum - you should be able to get a great picture that shows the inner angel anyway!)

7. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 22, 2007

I worked at Target for about a year, then I became a chiropractic assistant. I did that all through college.

8. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Jul 22, 2007

In college I worked in a daycare. I loved it!

9. patsfan82

patsfan82 Rookie

Jul 22, 2007

When I was in college I was an after-school group leader for the YMCA. I'm surprised it didn't turn me off from teaching because boy did I have some crazy situations!

10. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jul 22, 2007

I was a manager at a garden center until college. I was a firefighter during college! I worked the 12AM to 6AM shift and it was perfect for me as a night owl. I did an AmeriCorps volunteer service program prior to getting my teaching certificate. Now I teach Special Ed!

11. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Jul 22, 2007

During high school and my first year of college (4 years) I worked in the kitchen of a convent :eek: Then I worked 3 years at a facility for kids/young adults with severe disabilities. I also taught dance/gymnastics classes.

12. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 22, 2007

I worked at the Eatery at K-Mart and after that for a brief time, the YMCA Summer Camp Program. I didn't like either. Yet I never had a CAREER until teaching. :)

13. adellesmama

adellesmama Companion

Jul 22, 2007

I was a Subway Sandwich Artist for three years of college :) and then a school wraparound (T.S.S.) after I graduated :crosseyed . Boy am I glad to be the teacher in the classroom now after doing TSS work!!!

14. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Jul 22, 2007

Babysitting(if that counts) and then working at a daycare when I was 17. LOL

15. Sweet2Teach

Sweet2Teach Rookie

Jul 22, 2007

Should I list them all?:eek: LOL! I tended to migrate toward daycares/preschools. I also owned my own lawncare business for a couple of years- Those were the days of a fitness and a tan that rocked! Oh well, all good things must come to an end:rolleyes:

16. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 22, 2007

In high school and college I ran an icecream palor. I also worked (while in college) in a daycare, waitressed and worked Mini golf. During the school yr in college I would sub on my vacations. I always had four or five jobs during the summer.

17. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 22, 2007

I was a Youth and Christian Ed. director at a church. Lots of weekend retreats and fun. I was burnt out when I left but I do miss it (just a little).

18. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jul 22, 2007

Let's see.. I worked in two different daycares, worked in the bakery of Wegmans (grocery store), typed obituaries at the local newspaper and the worst... I was a housekeeper at a Hampton Inn. Ugh.

19. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 22, 2007

I forgot I did that too! I forgot about being a housekeeper. Guess I did't like it much. I didn't mind when I cleaned houses in Cape Cod. Made 75 to 150 dollars a house.
    I also was a Nanny for a British Family for a month while they were here on vacation.

20. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 22, 2007

I've worked as a restaurant hostess, auto glass counter help/administrative assistant, sign language interpreter, substitute teacher, stay at home mom and teacher.

21. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 22, 2007

I did various food service jobs, I painted figurines for a company called martha's orignals (each on is hand painted) and I delievered newspapers.......

Teaching is better

22. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2007

I was a front desk manager at a large hotel when I was in grad school. I loved that job and felt like I was very good at it. If I didn't teach, I'm sure that's what I'd go back to.

Immediately prior to teaching (between grad school and my position now), I worked at an inpatient psychiatric facility for children and adolescents.

Oh, I also worked at Sylvan Learning Center along the way. I didn't enjoy that at all.

23. ErikaG

ErikaG Rookie

Jul 22, 2007

I was a finance analyst at an insurance company for eight years. This is my first year teaching and I don't miss the business world one bit.

24. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Jul 22, 2007

A college student

25. atltappteacher

atltappteacher Rookie

Jul 22, 2007

I'm starting my first year of teaching this fall. During college, I was the manager of the photo lab in a Target store. After graduating with a business degree, I became an auto insurance claims adjuster. I just quit that job on Thursday!

26. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2007

really, tell me why? I see a lot of jobs for that company. I had a call, and got the feeling they were very pushy, almost treated teaching like it was a game, and the kids should have fun and you are a clown! Also felt it was big on sales, you help one kid, and you push his parents to drag his sister in...'see how well he is doing?'

what was your take on that place? lots of them poping up, kukom, etc.

27. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2007

before during or after?

I think I had more jobs than every teacher out here in AtoZ. :eek:

I worked at UPS at 2am, tossing boxes in that brown truck in 20 degree below weather.

I worked midnights at a pharmacy, stacking lotion. Honestly, I think I can go back to that!

I hated working as a cashier. My drawer never balanced. I hated making sales. I don't like pushing people to buy stuff they don't want.

While student teaching, I worked in Burger King, and dragged all my daughter's friends in the door! Got a $50 referral fee for each one!

Mainly worked as a word processing secretary. Did some customer service switchboard work. Good work around the clock, and nice benefits.

I was a temporary secretary for years. Liked that too. Alot like subbing.

Honestly, I loved subbing. Always worked when I wanted. Plenty of districts to keep me busy. No papers to grade, no parents to meet. Kids were so unique. I learned more being a sub than I ever did in student teaching! Saw some really cool pre-k centers. Been in fire drills, field trips, and even did a long term assignment and put on a Christmas play!

But the real answer is, I was a secretary. When I lost my job, I took my daughter to school 2 days a week, so I could save on child care. Her principal saw me one day and said, "I know you are looking for work, have you considered being a paraprofessional?"

She changed my life. Showed me what I had to do to get certficate, and after watching me in the classroom, encouraged me to go back to school to become a teacher.

That's my interview story! It really did make a difference for me!

28. HMM

HMM Cohort

Jul 22, 2007

Before college I was a cook at a local restaurant. During my undergraduate years I worked in the "Math Lab" as a Math tutor.

29. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 22, 2007

I was a life gaurd throughout high school and college, was a lawyer for a year for an injury firm, then went back to teaching.

30. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2007

It just wasn't my bag. At my center we had to stick to using their worksheets and activities, and we didn't have any license to try something else if their stuff wasn't working. They told us that it was the Sylvan system--that's what the parents were paying for, so that's what they should get.

Furthermore, I know that it's a business, but it just seemed like it was more interested in making money than actually helping kids. Sylvan charged an outrageous amount of money per hour, but paid teachers almost nothing--seriously, like 9 dollars per hour. I'd have three kids at my table each hour, so Sylvan would be bringing in almost $200 per hour at my table alone, and that's after subtracting my "salary"!

31. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 22, 2007

In college, I was an accounts payable clerk and I taught at some summer camps.

32. WindyCityGal606

Jul 22, 2007

Welcome to the world of teaching!! You're going to like it here!! :)

33. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2007

In high school I was a CNA at a nursing home! Hardest work I've EVER done. In college, I worked at my dad's hotel as a desk clerk. Then after I graduated college for a summer and fall, I took over an insurance agency that had recently lost the agent. I was licensed and did it to help my dad out who was the manager for this agency. I would NEVER do THAT again....didn't enjoy that at all.

34. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 22, 2007

Lots of part-time jobs in high school and college.

After law school - worked as a Mediator in the Prosecutor's Office in a large city.

35. WindyCityGal606

Jul 22, 2007

I've always wondered how people can be insurance agents or accountants and ENOY it? I just need more...we all do...that's why we teach. :)

36. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2007

Hmmm. I can't remember the name of this place. But it was very similiar. Said you must be a licensed teacher, and it was part time only. But if you had to tutor 3 kids at the same time, you were definitely getting the short end of that stick! Also, this place used computers only, and the computer told the kid what level they were on, and how to improve. I was just supposed to encourage them to work harder! Just wasn't what I considered teaching at all.

Thanks for the heads up!

37. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2007

Many of my family members are in the insurance business! They make LOTS of money!! That is why they do it!:p

38. kindernj123

kindernj123 Companion

Jul 22, 2007

Cashier, bakery sales counter, night cashier supervisor, food prep, dishwashing, shoe sales and daycare...:eek:

Teaching is much more interesting and fun!:D

39. WindyCityGal606

Jul 22, 2007

:eek: Sorry! I mean, I know the money is fantastic but we all know we're not in teaching for the big bucks...

40. Mommyof2xys

Mommyof2xys Rookie

Jul 22, 2007

I had a few jobs before teaching.

I worked at a grocery store for 2 years, a few daycare centers here and there. I was a telemarketer that called people about upcoming elections:( I hated that job!! I worked in the accounts payable department of a furniture company. I also was a receptionist for an insurance company.

I am sooooooooooooo glad that I became a teacher!:)

41. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2007

I sold vacuum cleaners for a while. Actually, I just dragged a vacuum cleaner around in my car for a while. I never sold one...my direct sales career was very short. I also sold men's underwear in a big dept store near Wash. DC. My coworker was the nicest guy you would ever want to know. He was also way, way, way out of the closet. We used to rate the men as they walked by. He liked them dark and swarthy, I liked the more clean cut. I asked him once how he and his friends...ooops.... that might be a thread for another type of chat room!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.